Honored Contributor

Had A Cardinal’s Nest in our Backyard Small Fir Tree

They had three babies and one is dead in the nest.  One fell out and was on the ground all night.  Can't find the other one.  I feel so bad.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Had A Cardinal’s Nest in our Backyard Small Fir Tree

Were you able to get the one back in the nest?

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Ohhhh that's sad...I love Cardinals. 

Honored Contributor

Probably the one on the ground fledged. Do not return it to the nest.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I feel for you.  I'm such a softy when it comes to animals and birds.  

I'm watching several bald eagles' nests and although we are warned this is nature and anything can happen, I shed a few tears when one of the eaglets doesn't make it.  

Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

Were you able to get the one back in the nest?

My husband picked one up with a net and put it back, but there's still only one now on the ground.  He won't touch it. Says the parents will take care of it.  But its gonna get cold tonight. 

Honored Contributor

DH is an avid bird watcher.  He knows lots but not everything, even though he thinks he does.  He says best to leave alone.  Although I fear for it cuz there's a cat that roams around.  

Honored Contributor

I want to put a small towel near it so maybe that will keep it warm.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 ...I've read on bird sites that sometimes a baby will fall out of a nest and you can put it back in.  If it were me I would Google the type of bird and look for suggestions what to do if a young baby falls out of the nest.  However,  if it's going to get cold, I would probably pick it up and put it back in the nest.

Respected Contributor

Once I was working from home during the spring. I kept the windows and front door open and could hear a cardinal family communicating from their nest in my spruce tree.

I quickly learned: One chirp from parent meant "How's everything going?" and a one chirp response from fledgling meant "Everything's good."

Two chirps: Someone (squirrel, cat, mailman) in the neighborhood. Three chirps: Alert! Someone near our nest!  Four chirps: Danger! Danger!

Those birds had me totally trained. I could be on an important business call, but if I heard four chirps, I'd put the phone down and go outside to make sure they were safe.