Honored Contributor

Re: HYDRANGEAS ON THE AZURES ISLANDS

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl , what a feast for the eyes❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️!!!  Thanks for posting.  Takes my breath away.

@Pook , here is my advice for you.  I am betting you have Niko Blue.  I have at least 24 hydrangeas on my property. Get rid of the the blue hydrangea.  Go out and buy yourself an Endless Summer hydrangea.  There are many kinds ...Twist n Shout, Bloomstruck, etc.  They are much easier to look after and don’t require much shaping.  The blooms are gorgeous.

I think you should try just one.  I had a Niki Blue that I babied for years and it begrudgingly set out a few blooms every year.  I started adding other hydrangeas with much greater success.  Good luck!  LM

@Lilysmom   I have all you mentioned, but my Nikko Blue, have two, bloom like crazy, the first to bloom.  Endless Summer blooms three colors at once, so love this one, but then I love them all.

Nikko Blue

Nikko Blue Hydrangea Shrub

Endless Summer 

Frequent Contributor

Re: HYDRANGEAS ON THE AZ0RES ISLANDS

Thank you for posting the Hydrangeas in the Azores. We have been to the Azores always in Mar/Apr. and have never experienced them in bloom. They grow wild everywhere on the island. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl , the photos are beautiful!  You must have the magic touch.  I couldn’t get good performance out of mine at all and neither could my neighbour.  I hope @Pook  tries an Endless Summer.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl , what a feast for the eyes❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️!!!  Thanks for posting.  Takes my breath away.

@Pook , here is my advice for you.  I am betting you have Niko Blue.  I have at least 24 hydrangeas on my property. Get rid of the the blue hydrangea.  Go out and buy yourself an Endless Summer hydrangea.  There are many kinds ...Twist n Shout, Bloomstruck, etc.  They are much easier to look after and don’t require much shaping.  The blooms are gorgeous.

I think you should try just one.  I had a Niki Blue that I babied for years and it begrudgingly set out a few blooms every year.  I started adding other hydrangeas with much greater success.  Good luck!  LM

@Lilysmom  Thanks!  When I walk my dog I see nice blue ones and then a few that rarely bloom and they have the wood sticks that mine that has never bloomed either year since planting it.  Then there are a few that have many different colors on the same bush.  I guess the endless summer ones that you mentioned in a later post sounds like those ones and also my best bet to try.  Thanks again!!

Honored Contributor

I would love to drive around this island. Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers and these certainly are like none I've ever seen.

Honored Contributor

The native to the US oakleaf hydrangeas are lovely. They are all across the campus of Swarthmore. Right now they are in bloom by us & their flowers are fragrant in the heat.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Absolutely gorgeous.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook  The blue ones here are Endless Summer.  The red and white one is Strawberry Vanilla, another favorite.  The tip stays white and the rest of the flower is red.  The one below is easily 10’ by10’.

The Rhodos and lilacs put on quite a show this year, even if it was late.  Hoping the hydrangeas do the same.  LM

FB11E6A7-B1B3-44B7-806F-D888688AEA92.jpeg9C239D36-1253-4EFA-82D2-AFFA2126E9DE.jpeg59C00DCC-122B-4560-861E-5914A34FF99B.jpeg79819EA8-651E-43F6-9278-9508753140F1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom   I think the second picture blue is another type of hydrangea, never seen a lacecap on Endless Summer.

Trusted Contributor

Stunning !!!!!