Respected Contributor

I have one Hydrangea that makes the large blue flower.  We call them snowballs.  My question is,living in Florida this plant still has very green leaves, no flowers at the time.  The tips of the leaves are turning brown, but still most of the plant and stems are bright green.  Am I supposed to prune this plant back at any time??   Temps here are un-seasonably warm for this time of year.  I'm in central Florida, and we usually get cooler months from Nov. thru March.   So far.. we're fluctuating from 50's at night to 80 ish in day.   My roses are still blooming too!   So I'm not sure if I should cut the Snowball plant down??   Or wait till Feb??

Honored Contributor

Re: HYDRANGEA QUESTION...

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin  You might want to treat yourself to a good gardening book for Christmas.   Florida gardening is quite different from the way the rest of the country gardens.   Surely there are books that can guide you. 

There are a ton of books on Amazon under "gardening in Florida".   Many are paperback and quite inexpensive.   Also every county has an extension agent who can answer questions that pertain to growing in your area. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I just googled it and most require pruning at the end of winter but some

require right after blooming.  It depends on what plant you have and there are many.  I checked at the Southern Living site and they list the most popular hydrangea plants.

I live in North Florida and this past year has been strange - everything growing in the winter.  I still have roses blooming but my hydrangea bloomed in late spring and then nothing.  I don't know what kind I have but I'm going to prune at the end of winter and see what happens.

Good luck, Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

Florida Cooperative Extension: County Offices click on your county to find contact info.

http://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/map/index.shtml

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor
Thanks everyone!!