Honored Contributor

Re: HUMMINGBIRDS ARE HERE, AND BIRDS NESTING WITH BABIES...

So, I looked at the map before I went on vacation early March and it showed that they were seen around the city about 2 hours south of me.  I'm in N AL. I made a mental note to put the feeder out when we got back, but I kinda forgot and also it just took awhile to get things back to normal.  I saw this thread and thought I need to get it out and forgot again.  The other day I noticed the wild buckeyes blooming and was reminded again because I had read that they follow the buckeye blooms.  My buckeye won't bloom for another couple of weeks.  Happens every year.  Guess I got a northern variety.  This time I did remember when I got home and got the feeder out that evening.  

I don't often see them at the feeder in the summer.  I don't have a good place to put a feeder where I can see it from the house.  I'll often hear them chirping in the garden though.  i get a lot in the fall when they're migrating south again and they fight over the feeder. 

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia , the black capped chickadees have fledged this week.  I cleaned out the house.  They usually brood about twice, so I expect another hatch 😃.

The bluebird babies should fledge any day too, and they also have nested 3 or 4 times from spring to summer.

I was out very early morning with my pup, was still dark and I saw a snake straight up on the window near the bluebird house...it was getting ready to reach in!!

Got hubby out...he got rid of it.  I was totally freaked out, but thankfully I saw it.  I sprayed around the pole and baffle with an oil I make to deter the snakes from smelling. HATE SNAKES, unfortunately we get alot here.

We also have some bears around and raccoons, possum too.  So far all the babies have stayed safe.  We'll be moving the birdhouse a few more feet away from the house so nothing can use the window to climb on.

Couldn't believe my eyes, seeing this snake straight up along the side of the window 😝😯

Respected Contributor

@Zhills , where are you?

I enjoy my local area, I'm in an agriculture location,  I have horses.  The only real negative thing that's impacting everyone is the excessive building of 4 story condos, and large developments going up.  Our roads/infrastructure are not designed to handle such congestion, so traffic/accidents is becoming a nightmare.  This all just started to take off over the past 2-3 years ,and everyone is complaining.   

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Eastern Pasco.  Not far from Zephyrhills, Plant City or Wesley Chapel.

I think every area of Florida has that problem.  Amazon keeps building and creating jobs.. and they will come!

West Pasco near the Veteran's Pkwy is so congested!

Enjoy the space while you can.

Respected Contributor

SE VA and I had my first hummer sighting this weekend - I am so excited!  I also have bluebirds who appeared to have returned to the birdhouse we provided them to build their nest.  I haven't peeked in  - I don't want to disturb them.  I am very pleased!