Respected Contributor

HUMMINGBIRDS ARE HERE, AND BIRDS NESTING WITH BABIES...

Saw a hummingbird yesterday, so I put out the nectar.  Sure enough,  there he was feeding this morning.   I put out another one in the front yard also,  today.

I've got about 5 bluebird babies that hatched last week,  and also blackcapped  chickadees hatched out in another house.  Busy, busy, here 😃

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HUMMINGBIRDS ARE HERE, AND BIRDS NESTING WITH BABIES...

We had a really bad freeze last month, very unusual for here.  I think all my hummers vanished.  Sad.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin    They surely aren't in my neighborhood.  There would be nothing for them to eat. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Dazlin - We need to know where you are located to give us a little insight.  I put out hummingbird nectar last week in Central Texas and yet to see any visitors.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin  et al, ours arrive in Nova Scotia mid May.  We still have snow on the ground but it is disappearing.  I was in the garden yesterday doing an early Spring pruning.  LM

Respected Contributor

@KarenK , I'm in Central Florida.   Usually the hummingbirds show up mid April,  so I was surprised to see one here already.   About 2 months ago, there was a teeny tiny one, feeding from a flowering bush I have...I couldn't believe my eyes, maybe a baby??

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin Central Florida?  I thought you were further South?  Care to be more specific?  I am in Central Floida also.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I'll see hummers for a few weeks, at least, here in the Piedmont of VA.

But I'll definitely keep an eye out.  Migration patterns do change.

I'm certain there are lots of nesting birds right now.  Some days the backyard feeders are quiet and then I'll look out and see a dozen male cardinals.  I would guess they are taking food to the nests.

Lucky you @Dazlin , that you see the bluebirds and the chickadees raising their brood.  I adore the chickadee.  That little "radar" sound they make is so sweet.

A neighbor has a local hawk nesting behind his house.  The nest is huge.

One thing I have not seen are any bears.  We've had some development and I suspect they've hunkered down, or some city type (they move here for the "country life" and then run at the site of a possum) has called the game warden out.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Zhills , Ormond Beach 

Esteemed Contributor

Lovely area!   Hope you're  enjoying it!