Trusted Contributor

HSN Wax Dipped Amaryllis Plant

This year for a present "to me, from me" I purchased a wax dipped amaryllis plant from HSN.  It is just so pretty and the red color is so cheerful.  Especially appreciated as outside we have sleet, ice, snow, etc.  Took these pictures a couple of days ago.  Now the flowers have opened up even more - it has a total of 4 flowers.  The brand is Leaf and Petal and was sold on HSN.  I'll be getting another one next year.

From what I've been reading on-line, since it's waxed dipped, it does not sound like I can "save" the plant; however, I'm going to give it a try.  

Hsn Plan .jpg

HSN Plan.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: HSN Wax Dipped Amaryllis Plant

It's very pretty.  I guess wax-dipped means the bulb doesn't have to watered or set in a growing medium, is that right?  I may get one; Terrain often has them marked way down after Christmas.  It will be a nice decoration in the drab winter months.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, @ValuSkr, you're correct - you do not need to water or plant a wax dipped amaryllis bulb.  From what I read on-line, it sometimes will regrow if after the plant is done flowering, you can cut off the wax (it's soft) and then look to see if the bulb has some roots.  If so, you can try planting the bulb in soil.  Sounds like you put half the bulb in the soil and half above.   I still need to do some more reading on the topic, but will see if I can save it when it's done blooming.

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop 

I did the exact same thing for myself.  I bought mine from QVC and it came a couple weeks ago.  It's just getting ready to bloom and I have enjoyed watching it's progress.   Yours is beautiful.   

Respected Contributor

I wish I had ordered one from HSN I saw the presentation the red color is just magnificent !!!!!

Respected Contributor

QVC has the same bulb...got the red and it is going strong. Great present for friends with a black thumb.

Cottage Farms Wax-Dipped Amaryllis Bulb M66610

SNEAK PEEK 👀 Wax-dipped Amaryllis bulbs... - Cottage Farms Direct |  Facebook

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop   Beautiful!

I purchased from HSN as well, and gave some as gifts.  Everyone is so happy with them!  I get a real kick out of looking at it in the early morning, and then noticing the added growth later in the early evening.  It is so beautiful!  

Mine has grown very, very tall on one single stem, with small growth just starting to appear at the base.  My sister's is growing a lot shorter, but much fuller on three separate stems.  We love comparing photos every few days.  

Respected Contributor

They’re amazing, aren’t they? This one is from Trader Joe’s:

FAD44D75-214E-432E-BAB9-819AA3463C5C.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@tucsongal, your plant is just beautiful.  Love the white color - I've never seen that before!

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@tucsongal, your plant is just beautiful.  Love the white color - I've never seen that before!

——————

I didn’t realize what color it was until I got it home. I picked it because of the gold wax LOL.