Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW TO GET RID OF A TOXIC PLANT?

[ Edited ]

Oleanders are not really that TOXIC unless you eat it!

We had them in our yard when I was growing up and we didn't know it was toxic!  They are quite popular in the landscape.

Put on a pair of gloves, cut the branches in 2 ft lengths, put them in a black plastic bag and throw them in the trash! 

Don't eat them and you won't have a problem!  Or roast hot dogs on the limbs!

Once it is cut back to the ground, you should be able to remove the stump from the pot.  Pour salt in the pot (don't get it on the ground around the pot) and let it kill the stump.  Clip off any new growth.  It will die and be easy to remove.  

Respected Contributor

Very interesting ! I'm a planter lover and have several houseplants ( almost to many) and I fill my patio with plants once it gets warm enough but I've never heard of this one so I looked it up and it said they don't tolerate frost. Why not put it in a bucket of ice and keep ice on it until the roots freeze? Just a thought again I had never heard of this plant  Woman LOL 

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   are there any other plants near this oleander planter?  You can pour vinegar down the soil, like you are watering it, and it will kill the roots.  However, if there are other plants in the vicinity that can be impacted by the vinegar dripping from the pot, then I would not go this route.  

If there is no time frame involved, wait till you have a good soaking rain, where the soil is wet and soft, then it might be easier to get the plant out of the planter.  Cut off as much as you can, to make it easier to wiggle the trunk to pop it out of the pot.  Won't be easy but doable, especially since you don't care if the plant survives, so no need to be gentle.  In theory it should work!  

Good Luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW TO GET RID OF A TOXIC PLANT?ee

@Tinkrbl44  I love Oleanders and have had them for years.  They grow in California like crazy and look so pretty as road dividers.

Planted them when I moved to Texas about 20 years and have enjoyed then ever since.  I never knew they were toxic and my dog and cats were never affected nor were the rest of the wild life that come to visit.  They lose their blooms in winter but are in full bloom in spring and into late fall.  

I guess bleach would kill the plant.  Good luck.

Valued Contributor

@simplyfriends 

Where did you find the 8 steps?  

@Tinkrbl44   I'm sorry now I can't find the article. Just google removing oleander safely.  I noticed there are you tube videos too. I hope you have luck getting rid of it. 

Trusted Contributor

Cut it down to the ground and immediately douse all the cut surfaces with undiluted Round-up.  May need to be treated with herbicide more than once.  Soak the cutting tools used in a water /alcohol mix for at least 5 minutes.  Wear disposable gloves and don't get the sap on bare skin.  Don't burn it, don't eat it.

Honored Contributor

If the only reason you're getting rid of it is because it's "toxic" understand that the list of "toxic" plants is very, very long and very few ever cause any issues. Since you've already cut it back 50 percent, just cut it back the rest of the way. Apply a bit of Roundup to the freshly cut ends and see if it regrows. If it does, simply spray the new growth with Roundup as it grows and it will die. As a rule, Oleander is a very beautiful, easy to care for plant. It's widely used with minimal issues despite it's toxicity. I would not throw away the planter. If you prefer to avoid the use of a chemical like Roundup, you can simply move the plant under cover someplace (a garage, storage shed, etc.) where it won't get water and it'll eventually die on its own. Nothing can live without water. It might take a few weeks/months to completely kill it in such a manner, but take away water and everything dies. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I grew up in southern California where these plants were plentiful.  My sister and I called them "lipstick bushes."  We would take a red bud from the plant and rub it on our lips pretending it was lipstick.  When I heard, many years later, that the plant was toxic I was taken aback.  With all the "stuff" we did, I'm surprised we survived our childhood!  Sorry, I didn't help with an answer to your question, but thought I'd share a memory.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Very interesting ! I'm a planter lover and have several houseplants ( almost to many) and I fill my patio with plants once it gets warm enough but I've never heard of this one so I looked it up and it said they don't tolerate frost. Why not put it in a bucket of ice and keep ice on it until the roots freeze? Just a thought again I had never heard of this plant  Woman LOL 

@Goodie2shoes   Oleanders are very popular landscaping plants in topical/semi-tropical climates.  The grow into a large bush with beautiful flowers.

Galveston, Texas is famous for its oleanders that fill the esplanade of the main thorofare through the city.

Screenshot_20230507_175341_eBay.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I hope the Orleander perfume I bought in Bermuda isn't toxic, I've used it for years!