Honored Contributor

HOW DOES YOUR VEGE GARDEN GROW - THIS IS HOW I GROW MINE

My vege garden is not large.  I grow almost everything in pots and two large tall boxes that DH built.  I grow tomatoes, eggplant, and tomatillos in fifteen gallon black pots left from trees that we have bought.  I grow bush beans, peppers and basil in either clay pots or grow bags, that I bought on zulily, very inexpensive.  I am also growing four potato grow bags of Yukon gold.

I bought a truckload of vege mix from a garden company which sells everything you could think of for garden and landscape, also buy truckloads of compost, but the vege mix doesn't have to be bought every year.  I also use kitchen compost that we have in a large wood box with a door for easy removal with a shovel, for the veges, and I use organic fertilizer.

The pole beans and cucumbers are growing in the ground, and the blackberries also, though for two years, I grew two blackberry, thornless, plants in fifteen gallon pots and they did better in the pots than they are doing in the ground, but we just planted them about four months ago, so probably need time to really get going.  The raspberries are in one of the wooden boxes.

If I had a large vege garden, I could grow in the ground and so much more than I do now such as melons, etc., but I chose to have multiple flower and plant gardens so those take up most of the garden.

I am eyeing another area that could work for melons IF I remove all of the Irises, and I am so fed up with the sporadic blooming, if at all, that I am just about ready to toss them, except for the few that bloom every year, don't understand why they are not blooming as I have been growing them for decades, so know what I am doing is correct, so will give them until next Spring, then out they go if no blooms, lol.

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW DOES YOUR VEGE GARDEN GROW - THIS IS HOW I GROW MINE

Sounds wonderful and creative.I would love to see a picture.Thanks for posting your garden story.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, I bet your garden bounty is delicious!  LM

Respected Contributor

For the first time, I'm growing red bell peppers & amish sweet peppers. I put them in containers...on cement....full sun (Seattle area). It's so fun to watch them grow. I can't wait until they get big & turn red (they better hurry up!) 

I also grew Utah celery for the first time...in a container. Just rubbing the leaves with my fingers smells heavenly! 

I water them in the early morning, & tell them how gorgeous they look. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Right now I'm only using containers and I'm growing vertically.  I've have had a terrific year and had a nice harvest of broccoli, swiss chard, beets, peas, tomatoes, basil, rosemary, tarragon, sage, fennel, summer squash, cucumbers, and borage.

Respected Contributor

I love vertical gardening. My cukes are growing that way, & they're AMAZING. It takes very little space, cukes are perfect & clean, & air circulates through the plants. I eat cukes daily, & they're still happy & blooming. Fyi, I put 4 cuke plants along the back of a 4 ft. raised bed, in front of a folding panel trellis. 

In my area, & with my clay soil, container & raised bed gardening is MUCH easier. 

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I love vertical gardening. My cukes are growing that way, & they're AMAZING. It takes very little space, cukes are perfect & clean, & air circulates through the plants. I eat cukes daily, & they're still happy & blooming. Fyi, I put 4 cuke plants along the back of a 4 ft. raised bed, in front of a folding panel trellis. 

In my area, & with my clay soil, container & raised bed gardening is MUCH easier. 

@spot555  We have gophers also, so for perennials, we make a wire basket for each plant, a real pain, but for veges, containers are the only way to go,except for the beans and cukes which are in the ground with no wire, so far, so good.