Super Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU GET RID OF APHIDS??

On 6/30/2014 lovestoteach said:

can you spray the plants with a mixture of Dawn and water? I am trying suggestions from the boards here (THANK YOU!) and so far, everything works! Aphid control was mentioned.

I have used Dawn detergent for many years and it does work. Take a spray bottle, add water and a little Dawn and the aphids are gone. I had a mini rose plant infested with the aphids, sprayed a couple of times and the plant looked great. Be sure to cover the top and bottom of the leaves and also the stems. We use Dawn to kill stink bugs too. Make a bottle of water and Dawn ( a good amount in the bottle) and when you see a stink bug on your walls, curtains or anywhere you don't want to squish them (they really stink) then slide the bottle under them - into the bottle they go and the Dawn gets on their wings - and dead. Using a bottle with a neck, like an orange juice bottle, works best. It also gives you extra height. I keep a couple of bottles ready for these situations. By the way, you use the Dawn for dishes so no waste there.

Contributor

spray bottle with dish soap and water

Honored Contributor

I wasn't going to replace my baskets but it looked so bare. Went to Lowe's and they had red and white baskets for the fourth. I bought two - going to take them out of plastic pots and put into my moss baskets. My color scheme this year is red and pink so red and white is close.

Trusted Contributor

This year, I tried a hot pepper spray wax. It's all natural and contains capsaicin. It doesn't harm plants, but makes them inedible for insects.

Seems to be working well.

Regular Contributor

On 6/30/2014 poshmini said:

I usually get them on my roses, I was told to plant garlic around the plants, they hate the smell or the taste that gets into the ground and into the root systems of the roses. and yes it does work, and a very natural way in doing so.

Never heard of that but you might try worm castings. Any good nursery has them. Spread all over the ground and a little past what you think is the root system. Keep and eye on them and when you no longer see them, add more. This is EXCELLENT for white fly. We had the most horrible infestation of white fly with what looked like LONG whiskers under our leaves. A wonder nursery owner told us about it. Within six months the tree leaves were shining and glossy, no white flies and the plant LOVED them. You cannot use too much it is natural fertilizer. Not sure if Aphids will respond like the white flies but what do you have to lose?

Honored Contributor

Never heard of using worm castings (their frass) as a repellant for white fly. I know its used as an organic fertilizer.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Must be an aphid summer - I was infested with them, as was my neighbor. I finally threw away my window boxes (well, not the planters themselves, just the contents) and replanted. My neighbor is trying to save hers but without any success so far. She's been trying a commercial insecticide and it's killing her plant.