Honored Contributor

My neighbor was cutting down some tall pine trees along property line and one fell the wrong way on my dogwood.  It broke a large branch off and ripped the bark so there is no way I can get a clean cut.  Is there any thing I should put on this long section of the trunk?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP WITH CHINESE DOGWOOD

@DiAnne@JustJazzmom will have some advice for you.  I lost a large limb off my Japanese Red Maple (Bloodgood) because of heavy snow.  It was a long tear off the bark ... at least 8".  She told me to leave it alone.  I had to watch for insect infestation.  Two years later, it is fine.  I guess you don't paint them like used to be done.

Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@DiAnne@JustJazzmom will have some advice for you.  I lost a large limb off my Japanese Red Maple (Bloodgood) because of heavy snow.  It was a long tear off the bark ... at least 8".  She told me to leave it alone.  I had to watch for insect infestation.  Two years later, it is fine.  I guess you don't paint them like used to be done.

Good luck!  LM

@Lilysmom

That is good to know.  This rip is almost 6 inches.  The tree is only about 5 years old and I would hate to lose it.  It is going to be an odd shape now - kind of flat on one side.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnneIf the break is a rip or a tear, neaten it up with a pruning saw so the edges aren't ragged.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I'd have your neighbor replace it--with the same size....might even be covered on his home insurance.  I think he should have offered to replace it as soon as he saw the damage...

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

Thanks.  I will go check on it when the rain stops.  

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

I'd have your neighbor replace it--with the same size....might even be covered on his home insurance.  I think he should have offered to replace it as soon as he saw the damage...

The young man did offer to replace it.  It was just an accident.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

I went out this morning to take care of the tree.  It actually has a hole in it where the large branch broke off and something has been running down the trunk.  Hope this is not a terrible sign...

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@JustJazzmom

I went out this morning to take care of the tree.  It actually has a hole in it where the large branch broke off and something has been running down the trunk.  Hope this is not a terrible sign...

Running down the trunk sounds like tree sap which is normal for dogwoods which can 'bleed' if cut in spring. 

As @Lilysmom mentioned, keep an eye on it for insect infrestation but the opening should close over and compartamentalize with time.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, fingers crossed!  LM