Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@mousiegirl

Small world!  My husband's family had a great place quite near Emerald Lake in Redwood City, so he spent many happy years in such a wonderful hilly, adventuresome area.  I loved SF when I was growing up, because there was no crime to speak of, lots of empty lots to play in, well, I could go on and on.  Went to Laguna Honda Elementary on 7th AveBet. Judah & Irving, then onto Hoover and Lowell.

I've only seen varities of pink and gorgeous purple, so must google them.  Thanks for the suggestion!  Honestly think I must make sure to include at least one helebore in my backyard.

@sfnative  Yes, the helebores bloom when nothing else does unless one has bulbs growing, but they last longer than the bulbs, the flowers on mine are still looking good, so months and months of bloom, though each plant seems to produce all the blooms they will for the current season at one time.

I remember the names of the schools you mentioned.  My Mother worked in SF, so I had to go to a private school which would accept me very early in the morning, and kept me until 5:30 or so, then a very long drive home, I hated it.

I threw a huge hissy fit regarding High School, telling my Mother I would bleach my hair blonde and run away from home if she forced me to go back to that school for High School, LOL, so she let me go to the neighborhood High School.  I never had to study much for any test due to the load of homework I had at the private school, it was an excellent education, all girls, probably one of the reasons I hated it, lol.

@mousiegirl

Really glad to know that you've had such an extended blooming season with  your hellebores.  Per your recommendation, I did some internet research last night and definitely plan to include them in the plan.  It would be wonderful to have the luck that you have had regarding extended rather then brief blooming.  Love the rich color and bulk of leaves, which are a marvelous back-drop for gorgeous flowers.

When it came to educating our daughter, having had great familiarity with SFUSD, as I have a Lifetime Standard Secondary Teaching Credential and taught at numerous schools in The City, we made the decision to privately educate her.  She would enter kindergarten in 1982, when public schools were still reeling from massive issues with drugs, funding,  deletion of all enrichment classes, near extinction of art & music, etc.  We visited what was available at the time and she was evaluated by the two chosen.  It was our and her choice for her to attend Burke's.  Yes, there were some rough patches for her, as she was a highly sensitive child.  Academically, I never had an issue.  When she went on to S.I., she simply rolled over everyone; and, when she commence U of O, it was also laughable that dorm-mates would come to her for basics such as study habits, how to organize their lives away from home - I could go on.  She took 7 years of Spanish as well, including an immersion summer trip/experience in El Salvador and has used her second language professionally many times.  When she was about 22, I received a call from her.  She wanted to thank us for spending the $$$ to insure that she received a good education, because it had just hit her that she was different in many ways from her friends and it was almost entirely relative to her education and positive outcomes.  Occasionally I think back on the cost of K-12, university, grad school, advanced studies and I still shiver.  But...she is now a 40 year old professional and her patients appreciate her for the healer that she is.  Everyone lives a long and complicated life and it's difficult to know where one will end up.  I am so pleased that my daughter is happy in herself, her profession, marriage, daughter AND she loves growing color in her front yard.

Yes, I know things veered rather off-topic, but such is my brain on a Sunday.  Hope you have a wonderful day!

And, thank you once again, for all the advice.  Every little bit is very much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

DSCF0332.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF0333.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF0334.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF0335.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF0336.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF0337.JPG