Contributor

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH BARBARA KING LIVE PLANTS?

I ordered 5 different plants from Barabara King Live Plants - only 1 was received as the "Shipped as Shown" photo indicated.  The other 4  plants were not even close to resembling the photo.

I was shocked at the huge difference.  I was also shocked because the hard goods I ordered from the Barbara King line were very good.  What was represented was what I received.

I looked up Barbara King's bio and found that she runs a very reputable florist shop in Vally Forge PA. 

The plants that I ordered that were completely inferior to what was represented are:

M65093 - white hosta, M65084 - Peony, M65081 - hydrangea and M65088 - chistmas helleboros.

I have ordered many plants from Robertas on QVC and have been pleased in the vast majority of the cases.

Frequent Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH BARBARA KING LIVE PLANTS?

[ Edited ]

Hi - My hardy hisbicus arrived with moldy roots and dead, dried out branches.  I planted them to see what happens.  Nothing so far and it's been five weeks.  I plan to return them once I get confirmation that I should send them back (sent an email a while ago to CS and still waiting to hear back).

I ordered two sets of the REblooming lillies, one was dead but all the others are doing good!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@KatyCar  My phlox roots arrived way too early, so I emailed the garden contact and received instruction as to how to keep the roots fresh. I finally planted them and so far three of the five have spouted. I think that's all I'm going to get. I appreciated the detailed instructions on what to do to keep the roots viable. Think I'm going to just rely on my local garden center from now on.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are not alone.

Her plants have TERRIBLE reviews.  Most people are stating a misrepresentation on her part. She showed the size of plants and roots that were supposed to be received while on air, but in reality, people were getting items that were FAR INFERIOR.

I had originally had several of her plants on order from January/February.  After reading her early reviews, I was lucky enough to be able to cancel.  However, I kept my order for her Midnight Marvel Hibiscus. I REALLY wanted that.  My first order came with nice sized bare roots, but the stems were completely broken and hanging off.  I called customer service and they sent replacements.  Those roots were smaller (not as represented) and the stems were again broken and "soft."  I put them in the ground anyway.  If they do not start showing any signs of life, I will have to call for a refund.  I hate having to do that, but what choice do I have?  I'm not giving her my hard-earned money for free.  I just hate that it's a "strike" on our return record even though it is HER fault.

I have heard that her regular non-plant items were of good quality.  I ordered that set of ducks she had on.  They are beautiful, but one of those came broken too.  It was a sign of things to come from this line...

I do believe that she did not purposely misrepresent her line of plants to the consumer. What would she gain in lying?  From what I understand, this is her first year selling live plants.  She probably trusted a grower/distributor that promised one thing, but ended up delivering another.  I doubt it's the same company she uses in her shop.  The person she uses for QVC probably mass distributes plants.  If she is smart and truly cares, she should absolutely switch growers for next year.  That's IF she comes back with more live plants.

Trusted Contributor

@Boomerdotty 

I'm sorry you aren't having any luck with her plants either.  Just as an FYI, you don't need to return the plants.  You simply call QVC, tell them what is going on, and they will refund you your money.  It's easy to do and they are very nice about it.  I'm sure your call won't be a surprise.  They have probably received hundreds, if not thousands of calls about her line of live plants.

Contributor

OMG.... everything she sells is horendous!  Cheap items from China.  I would never buy a single BK item.  Yuck!

Super Contributor

I ordered sunflower plants from Barbara King, went out & bought new garden soil, followed the instructions to the letter, but they have never come up.  QVC credited my account, but with the slow shipping due to the virus, I wonder how fresh the flowers were when I received them.  In comparison, my day lilies from Cottage Farms thrived.  A camellia  I ordered as 'in stock', suddenly showed as on 'waitlist'.  Finally I cancelled. I know the Corona Virus has caused many problems with businesses, but I'm very disappointed with some of the outcomes. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

7-22-20 red hibiscus, 3 boys, garden seeds 015.JPG

I ordered her midnight marvel hibiscus plants and got them early in April and went ahead and planted them and put straw around the pots to protect them. 

They are big and should be blooming any day now, they have so many buds!

I also have her garden bell windchimes and her garden fish. They are awesome! I love everything I have ordered!

blooming today for the first time - gorgeous I can't wait until I have many flowers!7-22-20 red hibiscus, 3 boys, garden seeds 014.JPG

Respected Contributor

Blooms today! Both plants are blooming all the time, I love it!

7-23-20 red hibiscus 002.JPG