Honored Contributor

May yard has taken a terrible hit this year because of our excessive heat and lack of rain here in the Pacific Northwest.  Even with watering it was just too hot for many plants..  Lots of ferns and several azaleas look dead but I am going to leave them and see what happens next spring. 

My question about hardy geraniums is can I cut them down to the ground this fall without harming them.  Usually I just leave them alone but they have a lot ugly brown on them. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi ~ I'm not sure about the hardy geraniums.  I would call or visit a reputable local nursery and talk to someone there.  We're below average as far as rainfall in my area and had some questions about a few of our plants.  I went to one of my favorite nurseries and they were very helpful.  Best of luck!   

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne

Yes, you can cut off the brown parts of Geraniums. These are not to be confused for those reading with Pelargoniums-- the name for the summer blooming plants called geraniums.

The hardy geraniums are also called commonly 'Cranesbills' because their flower resembles a crane's bill! What can I say there was no TV or internet way back when, they were naming these plants.Woman Wink

I'm starting to see the leaves of my peonies looking 'sad'. Soon it will be time to cut those back too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Just Jazzmom - Thanks.  Now I feel better about doing it! 

Honored Contributor

When I lived in a cold climate (Chicago), we always dug them up and stored them in the basement during the winter........

When I lived in Los Angeles, I would take cuttings and root them for "new" plants........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

When I lived in a cold climate (Chicago), we always dug them up and stored them in the basement during the winter........

When I lived in Los Angeles, I would take cuttings and root them for "new" plants........

These are the Pelargoniums we call 'geraniums'.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼