Honored Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

@gardenman 

Hi there!  Thanks for your advice.  I pruned back the suckers and I think I went a little too far on the hair cut!

I probably removed too many leaves.  Any advice?  other than to not to do that again?  Am I too late?  Should get another plant?  haha.

I do have many 4 little bulbs and maybe 10 little flowers.  So I have hope I didn't mess the poor little thing up.

Thanks!!

It's hard to kill a tomato plant. It'll be fine. It should bounce back with lots of new stems and leaves in a matter of a few days/weeks. People do all kinds of strange things to tomato plants. Commercial growers will often train them to a single stem and grow them up a wire in a greenhouse, sometimes reaching twenty feet or more in height. They'll use those scissor-jack machines to raise them up high enough to pick the tomatoes. Some people pinch out the tops to get really bushy tomato plants. If it's an established plant that's moderately happy, you won't be able to kill it easily.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I remember one year a cherry tomato must have been dropped in among my daylillies & the following year a plant grew. It used the leaves of the daylillies as a trellis. I kept it there to see what it would do. I got lots of cherry tomatoes from that plant that year!

When I grow tomatoes, I use a metal tomato spiral & tie all the stems to it so they don't go all over the place. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

My patio plant, you know those big one's you can buy let's say at Home Depot that you leave in the container is producing tomatoes (not big) but upon them ripening are rotting on the bottom.

Is that what you call blight?    I can't see anything on the green one's but as soon as they ripen the bottom has rotted and so far, 2 have been thrown out.

Is the whole plant gone?  Is there anyway of saving it or will the rest of the tomatoes growing be OK?

I did spray the plant with some organic pest killer when I saw some of the leaves have little black specs on them.

Looks like the plants that are the ground growing are doing good, but right now, all I have is flowers on those.   My sweet 100 is showing tomatoes but they are still growing too.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

My patio plant, you know those big one's you can buy let's say at Home Depot that you leave in the container is producing tomatoes (not big) but upon them ripening are rotting on the bottom.

Is that what you call blight?    I can't see anything on the green one's but as soon as they ripen the bottom has rotted and so far, 2 have been thrown out.

Is the whole plant gone?  Is there anyway of saving it or will the rest of the tomatoes growing be OK?

I did spray the plant with some organic pest killer when I saw some of the leaves have little black specs on them.

Looks like the plants that are the ground growing are doing good, but right now, all I have is flowers on those.   My sweet 100 is showing tomatoes but they are still growing too.

It's blossom end rot. The plant should be fine. More consistent watering might help.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

You don't have to toss the tomato, just cut off the bottom when you go to use it.

Add some Epsom salts to the container -- about 1/4 cup & water it in. This will also help stop the blossom end rot.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I picked my first early girl tomatoes yesterday which is the first time I've had red tomatoes this early. Now I know why they are called early girls, they are so small but tasty!

I have tons of blooms and green tomatoes even on the big boys I planted.

So excited I might get tomatoes this summer, last year was hit or miss.