Respected Contributor

I went to Home Depot yesterday and got a little carried away.

I was on the hunt for Sweet 100 tomato plants that were recommended, I found those and a lot more tomato varieties that I have never tried.

Of course I got an early girl, big boy but there were plenty of others.

I am even trying a patio tomato plant that I have never had before.

getting my soil ready but I think in the next 1-2 wks, they'll go in the ground.

Thanks for all the hints and tricks, I taste BLT's in the future and there's nothing like home grown tomatoes.

Frequent Contributor

We have a Bush Goliath, never tried that one before....plus Bonnie Original, Black Prince, and Celebrity, which usually does well, but it's been c-c-cold here in zone 7a.

Super Contributor

How do you tell which stems are suckers?  I'm afraid of cutting off stems that will produce flowers.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 

They are the little green leaves that grow on the plant stalk, above or below the main branches of the plant.  Just pinch them off as soon as they come out so the growth goes into the stalk and main branches.

Super Contributor

So it's just little leaves, not like a branch?  I think I get it!

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Growing Tomatoes

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

I have green tomatoes! 

I planted my garden April 27th and already have lots of green on one plant. These might be the early girls.

I'm excited because this is earlier than last year. I have early girls, big boys and some cherry tomatoes.

It rained for weeks which is unusual for me but finally some sun and warm weather.

I had to wait so long last summer to get any tomatoes but I'm more hopeful this time.

Honored Contributor

What you had was blossom end rot. It's not uncommon. It's caused by not enough calcium reaching the fruit. Here are some quotes from the Michigan State University Extension Service about it.

"Blossom-end rot first appears as water- soaked spots on the blossom end, or bottom, of the tomato. The affected tissue breaks down rapidly and the area becomes sunken, dark brown or black, and leathery. This can happen at any time as the tomatoes mature, and most often on the first tomatoes of the season.

Blossom-end rot is caused by insufficient calcium in the tissue of the tomato. Calcium is taken up into the plant through the roots, however, it settles in one part of the plant. This means that the rot can occur even when there is an ample supply of calcium in the soil, stems or leaves. Actively growing parts of the plant such as developing tomatoes must have a continuous supply of calcium to prevent these spots from developing.

The conditions that cause blossom-end rot are closely linked to inconsistent soil moisture throughout the growing season. Since calcium is only moved into the plant with an ample moisture supply, when drought occurs the fruit continues to develop but will be affected by a calcium deficiency."

It's not too much water or too little water, but inconsistent watering that causes the trouble most of the time. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for your input. 

I am growing my first tomato plant in a pot.  And i just gave it a sucker and bottom leaves trim.... I did accidntally snip off a bloom.  OOPSIE!  

I don't know what kind of tomato plant it is.  They had them at Whole foods a couple of weeks ago in pots with cages.  I thought what the heck!  I'll try to grow fresh tomatoes this summer on the patio.  If I get one good tomato, it'll be a pricey one! but so worth it. LOL!

I have been watering everyday. While the soil is wet, based on what I learned here.  It  probably is not enough.  Starting tomorrow I will give it the whole water can.  I was splitting it between my other patio plants. 

I was letting the water sit.  I do that out of habit.  I learned of an old tradition to let water sit in the home to remove the bad energy it absorbed on it's journey.  But that is another thread.  :-)

I picked up some tomato plant food at the hardware store.  Maybe I have not been giving it enough of that, too.  I was only giving it a little drink of plant food once a week.  Probably not even half a gallon.  But now that I know I can't over water it.  I will be more liberal with both food and water.   

Thanks again for all the advice!  And to @Just Bling  for bringing it up!!

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman 

Hi there!  Thanks for your advice.  I pruned back the suckers and I think I went a little too far on the hair cut!

I probably removed too many leaves.  Any advice?  other than to not to do that again?  Am I too late?  Should get another plant?  haha.

I do have many 4 little bulbs and maybe 10 little flowers.  So I have hope I didn't mess the poor little thing up.

Thanks!!