Honored Contributor

Has anyone planted groundcover plants between pavers?

I've planted creeping thyme, am currently trying out some white clover, and will probably plant some more creeping thyme since that likes the hot summers better.

Anyone else?

(This is not my backyard, just an example.)

Image result for creeping thyme between pavers

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Groundcover between pavers

My walking path (pavers) are in the grass, in front, back and side yards, so I don't need the ground cover but my DiL has groundcover between her pavers.  I don't recall what it is, but I believe it is some kind of herb.  Her area is different from mine.  I put mine there so I would not walk on grass.  She created her area where no grass existed, made a courtyard of pavers and herbs.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I've had good luck with dwarf pennyroyal.  Smells so good when stepped on.   

We had a COLD March and it killed back some of the more delicate plants just as they started their spring growth.  But, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

The thyme looks great too.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I had a large patio of flagstone pavers with ground covers planted in between at a previous house.  I know I had several varieties of thyme.  I love wooly thyme.  A local nursery sold little pots of *steppable* plants.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen it done and it's a nice effect around paving stones.  It also helps keep away weeds which sometimes take root between the pavers and bring with it the chore of frequent weeding or having to use some kind of weeding spray.  Sedums do seem to require a lot of sunlight for best results, so if the area is shade to part shade they may disappoint. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

FC80457B-41F1-4C73-983A-CCC5EDBDC6A3.jpeg

5B7182B1-98C6-47E6-88ED-B111C5064102.jpeg

Moss grew naturally between mine.  I like the look.  I lost two large trees this winter that provided some of the shade to this area.  I am wondering if that will affect the moss.  Time will tell.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

We have pavers on our front yard by the driveway and front door and the back patio is all pavers as well. While it may look nice with the ground covers what a pain to take care of in the Arizona heat. We prefer to keep our pavers free of anything green growing between them. 

Honored Contributor

What an inviting spot you have there, @Lilysmom

I'm loving your astilbe.  I have a white one near my birdbath where it gets the extra benefit of water that the birds splash out.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.