Honored Contributor

What do you think of these? 

Image result for grave planters

Image result for grave planters

Honored Contributor

Grave Gardens are for the living. It’s their way of coping therefore I’m ok with it.

Honored Contributor

I just saw this on The Sunday Morning Show. I was surprised I had never heard of it. I love cemeteries especially old ones and visit when I see one.

I'm going to see if there are any in my area to visit.

Respected Contributor

Well, if they're cared for and maintained I think it's nice. If they turn into a bunch of weeds and such then it's not. The top two look okay, but the bottom one not so much. A nice bed of rocks and stones would be better. Oh, and flowers only...no vegetable gardening. LOL!     

Trusted Contributor

I remember picnicking in the graveyard with Gram when I was small.

It was no big deal to sit and eat my cream cheese and jelly sandwich while Gram cleaned off and tended the graves of our departed family members.

I think these pictures show that lives go on for the living but it also important to remember those no longer with us.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grave Gardens

[ Edited ]

Kinda reminds me of the principle behind Soylent Green ... life deriving it's nourishment from dead matter.

edit:  also, in my area these would look overgrown and very untidy in one season. 

I'm paying for perpetual care of the grounds for 6 plots, in a large, old  cemetery that is beautifully maintained. Thank goodness they enforce their rules strictly.

I can just imagine what some families might plant, or the 'beer bottle boarders' they'd assemble around their plots if "anything goes!"

Regular Contributor

I have seen graves like these in old cemetarys, but the beds were empty and bare and I thought it odd.  After seeing the program, it all makes sense.  Sadly there is no more family members to maintain those old graves.  I looked up the Woodlands Cemetary website and there are lots of beautiful pictures of the work they do there.  

Trusted Contributor

I would sure hate if someone planted some “icky” vegetable (like beets or broccoli) on me!   Pretty pink flowers would be nice though.  

Valued Contributor

My family has these "grave gardens" on each grave---no flowers, though---just thick ivy that are cared for by the cemetery (we pay yearly for that). The graves also have foot and head stones. Always kept very neat and looks nice--best in the warmer months when the ivy looks healthier. I had no idea how much it was for those graves until my Mom died in 2014--just the stones and ivy alone cost $7,000 (besides the funeral at $8,000)---a fortune--but my Mom deserved it. I know it's not a modern practice to bury the dead this way, but that side of my family insisted everyone buried in our family plot be buried the same way--and I wanted my Mom's resting place to match my father's.

Honored Contributor

I like that but if I had one mine would probably be full of weeds.

We have already bought our plots but now I'm leaning towards Cremation after going thru all the funeral BS.