Honored Contributor

Those gardens wouldn't last a week here under the desert sun unless someone showed up to water them every morning.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Interesting...never knew you could have something like that.  But perhaps it depends on each Cemetery's rules.

My father purchased a section of plots....12...my parents are there now...both of my Mom's parents (grandparents for me) and my only sister....she was 42.  Each of us remaining siblings....myself & husband, 2 brothers and their wives, 1 brother (single) have plots.  We signed some forms at the Cemetery when my Dad passed away to assign each of us a "plot".  That was really a odd feeling to do that.  Only my half brother doesn't have a place there...he is a veteran not sure what his plans are.  

This section is under some really large trees....very shady...not much grows well there.  Small flat in the ground head stones.  I think for us keeping it simple is best.  Placing flowers there and so on is fine but nothing that needs tending to.  

Honored Contributor

I have planted daffidils years on 2 sites that I visit annually in the Spring, Usually I see the buds but once they were in bloom and I took 2 flowers home. The bulbs multiply very nicely which is more than I can say for my own garden. 

I love CBS Sunday Morning - and learn so much from the program. 

here is the clip 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhkMayeyIA

Honored Contributor

I’ve helped maintain our rural family cemetery for 40 years, and we do not allow the planting of flowers, trees or shrubs on the graves.   A very large sign inside the gate says “absolutely no planting of flowers, trees or shrubs”.

Thru the years there have been dozens of out of state visitors who thought it was just fine to plant a rose or azalea bush on a family members grave and then expect it would be maintained.   We have a hard time finding someone to mow the grass thru the spring and summer months, and raise enough money thru donations to pay them; we cannot expect them to be a gardener as well.   

The only thing worse worse than the planting’s are the solar lights, windchimes, and garden statues on the graves.   The family is responsible for the headstone, so anything they want to hang, or glue on the stone is their business, but the stuff left on the grass falls under my business.   For Memorial Day, a big sign says it can stay for 2 weeks; either come back and get it, or it goes to the dump.  

It never ceases to amaze me at the families who show up with $50+ of solar lights and garden statues for a grave, but won’t contribute $50 towards mowing the cemetery for the year.   

Respected Contributor

Not allowed in our cemetary.  We have vases on the headstone which we seasonally replace ( artificial flowers so they look good all the time).  Even though they are not on the grass if we leave them in the holders to long the staff disposes of them.  It's sad when we go to replace the flowers for the next season and the gravestone is bare.  A little like they've been abandoned.