Trusted Contributor

Just wondered if anyone else puts out grape jelly for the birds. We started doing this 2 years ago. Back then, I put the jelly in a shallow plastic cup from the dollar store & put the cup on top of a base for a gazing ball. Now, I am putting the jelly on top of an oriole feeder that has built-in indentations for the jelly. The base is hollow and allows for you to put nectar or syrup down there, but I fine it too messy and the orioles and finches are more interested in the jelly. They are at it pretty much all day--sometimes with up to 3 birds perched on it at a time. I'm on my way out right now to clean off the top and replenish the jelly for today. They will get snarky with me if I don't hurry it up. 

So, what do you put on your oriole feeder? (Sorry that I don't have any pictures, but they're pretty touchy about getting their picture taken.)

Trusted Contributor

Re: Grape jelly for the orioles

I also use grape jelly for my Orioles, I have a feeder that hangs down which  has a small plastic jar attached or you can screw a jar of smuckers jelly onto it.  The birds love it.

Honored Contributor

How do you handle unwanted animals at those feeders like wasps, flies and ants?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I am interested in trying this but haven't had luck finding a feeder for the jelly.  Where did you all purchase your's?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I have very aggressive yellow jackets on my property.

I don't think this would work for me.

But I would love to feed the birds.

Trusted Contributor

OP again. In response to questions, there are going to be some bees buzzing around, but they just normally get what they want and leave. I don't usually find them a long-term nuisance. There are some really small ants that get on the jelly also, since it is not covered, but I just clean them off when I clean up the feeder every morning & refill the jelly.

Second question about where I got the feeder. You have to just look around, but I got mine in a garden center just down the road. I've seen oriole feeder in the dollar stores and also Lowe's & Menard's. You'll find something that will work. If you can't find a regular feeder, do what I did last year & put out a small plastic cup (I sat mine on the base for a gazing ball).

Respected Contributor

Gardening catalogs usually have oriole feeders.  I love the orioles.  They are shy though.  I have a feeder with a cup for the jelly.  It also has two "spikes" to place orange slices. Orioles and other birds (and even butterflies) like the orange slices.  I do get some bees and flies.  I take the feeder down at night, bring it in the house, clean it out and put out fresh jelly and orange slices the next morning.  This seems to keep the pests at a minimum.  I also get raccoons in the yard at night.  If I don't bring the feeder in at night the raccoons get all the food and even damage the feeder.  Just be aware of this if you live in an area where critters come into your yard at night.

Honored Contributor

Ia have never seen an oriole here....but the jelly would be a magnet for ants in my yard....it is a constant battle

Respected Contributor

Songbird Essentials Bird Berry Jelly 20 OzWe use this (BirdBerry Jelly) with great success.  It does not draw insects and orioles can't seem to get enough of it.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.