Respected Contributor

Got my spring and summer flowers started today!

There's nothing I love more than a huge meadow full of flowers so a while back I dug out part of my lawn and planted it to flowers, and--may I modestly say--it was the talk of the neighborhood. People would stop and chat with me about, the little kids loved it--even the DOGS liked it!

So this year I'm doing it again. I'm sure some of the perennials will come back and even the annuals might have re-seeded themselves (this has also happened, to my surprise, with tomatoes I didn't bother to pull up at the end of the season).

A few weeks ago I planted nasturtiums and was disappointed that nothing came up--till I realized my yard service guys were raking the bare flower beds and probably uprooting the starts. So I let them know they don't need to do that and I'll try with the nasturtiums again.

I love this time of year:-)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Got my spring and summer flowers started today!

Driving through my neighborhood is a joy, thanks to all the green thumbs - nature's beauty is all around. Enjoy your garden paradise. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds lovely.  Nasturtiums are very hardy, so they may surprise you and show up.  

A mile or 2 down the road from us, there are a handful of homes that have gigantic front yards, more than an acre.  One of those homeowners turned his front yard into a wildflower meadow.  It's wild and colorful.  And gorgeous.  The only maintenance he does is to burn it down every April, and those grasses and wildflowers come back bigger every year.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Sounds lovely.  Nasturtiums are very hardy, so they may surprise you and show up.  

A mile or 2 down the road from us, there are a handful of homes that have gigantic front yards, more than an acre.  One of those homeowners turned his front yard into a wildflower meadow.  It's wild and colorful.  And gorgeous.  The only maintenance he does is to burn it down every April, and those grasses and wildflowers come back bigger every year.  

wow! I'd love to see that. I'm assuming it's a controlled burn? there are a lot of trees, plants, etc. that actually need fire to sprout.

I went to the local home center this morning and bought some more plants that I'm using to fill in some bare spots. They'll be so pretty--I feel like I just thumbed my nose at the pandemic ;-)