Esteemed Contributor

Good online source for tulip bulbs

I want to order some tulip bulbs, does anyone have an online source they have used and been pleased with?

Honored Contributor

Re: Good online source for tulip bulbs

Every year I order from Tulips.com.  I have always been satisfied with their quality.  

Contributor

Dutchgrown is really good. The price is great and bulbs come from Holland. 

Occasional Contributor

I just got my order of tulip bulbs from Tulip World.  They are big and fresh, and they are having a sale right now.  Have had good luck with them.

Esteemed Contributor

We have moles in our yard.

I'm wondering if I should plant the tulips in containers outside but I like to see them in the ground.

I'd hate to plant a bunch of tulips and have them all eaten.

In other news, I collected some mimosa tree seeds from seed pods, and the hostas in my yard have seed pods on them....they're not brown yet, though, so I'm waiting to harvest them...

Super Contributor

I have ordered from Colorblends dot com for years and have always been very pleased with the quality of the bulbs.

Honored Contributor

American Meadows gets consistently high reviews.  They have a good selection and many are on sale up to 50% off.  Shipping isn't bad either.  I haven't ordered from them yet myself, but I intend to.  Best to order now while the selection is still good.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow I don't have moles but deer and/or squirrels did a job on my tulips last spring.  The heads were eaten (deer) or just chewed off and left on the ground (squirrels!).  Next year I must remember to spray Liquid Fence repellent.  So early in the season, I'm not usually thinking Liquid Fence already, so it didn't even occur to me last spring.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow

I don't have moles but I have squirrels that steal tulip bulbs and lily bulbs.  For the last several years I have planted them in large pots on my patio with chicken wire protecting them.  In the spring I dig a little of the soil out, remove the chicken wire, pull the bulbs out and replant pots for summer and then reverse the procedure next fall with new tulips.  

Esteemed Contributor

I always buy bulbs locally so that I can check for firmness and quality. JMO. As far as moles, I have them, too, but they are after worms and never chew up the bulbs. Same with squirrels (as far as not chewing up the bulbs) ~ maybe because they get as many peanuts as they can eat and the bulbs don't look as tasty. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein