Respected Contributor

A friend gave us a pretty wooden box with Hyacinths in it.  They bloomed and the leaves and bulls remain.  We'd like to try to plant the bulbs at some point but a google search provided a myriad of instructions from freezing the bulbs to putting them in a cold dry place.

Any hyacinth pros here who can tell us what to do?  I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

If you live in an area that gets a WINTER FREEZE....you can just dig the bulbs into the ground now, and they will come up next spring.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal  I agree with @Desertdi . Also, after you plant the spent plants and bulbs, just let the leaves die back naturally. Don't cut them off right away. If you live in an area where you don't have frozen ground in winter, you need to dig up the bulbs, dry them out so as to get the dirt off of them, and sink them in perlite or other suggested materials and put into your freezer. You will bring them out and plant them a few weeks before they start to grow in your area. Just check with your local garden center.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom @Desertdi 

Thanks to both of you.  We are at 7,000 feet in NM so we do get plenty of freezing in the winter.   Will follow your advice.  💋

Honored Contributor

I have many that were bought in pots, once they bloomed we planted them around the yard,  plant now so they can grow and get ready for next year.

we planted them near the front door 

they seem to be (for now) not susceptible to the deer destruction