Honored Contributor

I haven't had voles in the yard but here are a few more ideas:

1.  Castor-oil based repellent (e.g. Repellex Granular Mole Vole and Gopher Repellent)

2.  Attract hawks and owls to your property (they'll feed on the critters and / or chase them away)

3.  Remove heavy mulches (which provide cover for voles)

4.  Mouse or rat traps appropriately covered so birds can't get at them

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/voles-these-little-rodents-can-do-a-lot-of-damage

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the information and your time.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information you provided and your time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting rid of voles

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I thought voles eat vegetation and moles eat grubs?

@JustJazzmom  That's my understanding too.  Moles are meat eaters.  They eat earthworms in addition to grubs.  I read the grub ex label long ago and don't remember for sure...it might get rid of earthworms too.  It not, grub ex won't fix the whole problem.

I've tried some traps.  I think I caught three moles with four traps over a period of 4 or 5 years.  I'm throwing out the now-rusted traps this week.

Juicy Fruit gum didn't make sense...for moles or voles, but I tried it.  Ditto the ex-lax I put in some holes last week.  A couple of people swear it works.  I have my doubts. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

GrubEx, the one that contains imidiaclopride has been banned in NYS because it has been known to kill beneficial insects if used in an outdoor setting. It can be used in an indoor setting though, go figure!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼