Honored Contributor

Getting anxious to dig in the dirt, lol

I live in the midwest, zone 5, we have been in a drought situation here last year, this past summer, fall and winter. I think we got less than 3" snow, total, this winter. The last 36 hours of so we have had rain off and on, a nice slow, beneficial rain, my grass is greening up nicely, and I am SO ready to get out there and dig in the dirt. Will probably need to mow the grass in another week (can't believe I'm looking forward to that) lol.

What is happening in your yard?

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting anxious to dig in the dirt, lol

Man, it's annoying to have to see your last purchase before getting 'back here..   Re:  Garden - I'm not a garden digger - small raised garden is about it.  Stones and pebbles with weed protection limits digging in the front gardens - except for an orphan weeds that survives.  Had big snow storm 2 weeks ago in Northeast but after two days of rain - only big snow banks and plots of snow remain.  Spring birds have returned except for the hummers.  For snow amounts:   you apparently had little - think we hit (perhaps, don't quote me)   140 inches.  Enjoy digging!

Respected Contributor

I started basil and arugula from seeds, and they're in full bloom, and I'm already enjoying them. I live in central Florida. Also started lavender and Shasta daisies, but are teeny tiny yet. Every spring I get over enthusiastic, until the sweltering heat comes...then I dread being out. Plants here need water every day. I start out by 7 am or so. My first summer with roses too...giving it all I got☺
Honored Contributor

@fthunt, I agree about the last purchase thing, annoying as all get out, but I think we are stuck with it. 140" of snow? OMG. I did of course, hear about all the snow in the northeast, must say I'm glad we did not have that, but we needed much more than the 3' we got. Enjoy your raised beds, they count too!
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin, I'm with you about those high temps and humidity, once we get to that, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about gardening, lol. You are ahead of me, but then our zones would make the difference. I did get out a couple weeks ago when we had some 70-80 degree days and got my springtime cleanup done, now have to bid my time till planting is safe here in my neck of the woods. Enjoy your gardens, I'm sure you will enjoy the roses too.
Esteemed Contributor

I think DH will have to mow this weekend - front yard, anyway.

My bulbs are coming in sequence, and are predictably beautiful!

I think I am going to plant a "Black Knight" butterfly bush - I have a need for a screen and I've always loved this one.  I have the right spot for it now.

Hubby wants a St Francis statue, for a garden in the back.  I work at a garden center so I'll be shopping for it soon.  Then we'll plant around him (the statue).  It's a wet area, so I'm thinking red twig dogwood, sweetbay magnolia, virginia sweetspire - we'll see!  Maybe some sweet woodruff.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@Snicks1 ~ Like you, I am also in zone 5.  I took advantage of the warm day we had last Friday and worked out back all day.  It felt great!  We have a shady backyard, and with three large dogs grass is non-existent.  We mulch our backyard, have flagstone paths, a koi pond and lots of flower beds.  Right now it's half-mulched, half-mud, lol!  The pond guys are planning to start their appointments next week to get everyone's ponds cleaned out and waterfalls running again.  I can't wait for that!  Our fish are already starting to become active again ~ slowly, but I'm so happy to see they are all okay.  I look forward to getting it all done and sitting out back with a good book.  I did start planting little tiny hostas I got at Aldi, believe it or not.  They sell them as a bag of six and I swear they are the best hostas I've ever planted!  Happy gardening!  :-)  

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting anxious to dig in the dirt, lo

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia, that sounds wonderful, it will be beautiful. I've been looking already at garden centers, I know it's still a bit early here to plant, but I am getting impatient to get out there. Have fun gardening.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snicks1, I'll call you when I would rather be home in my own garden - you could fill my shift at the garden center!

I want to do a climbing hydrangea somewhere, too.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Julie928, your pond sounds just awesome, glad the fish made it. Sitting out enjoying that...wonderful. I almost bought some ferns yesterday, but made myself wait another couple weeks. Enjoy that wonderful back yard.