Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes, HELP

I had blackberry bushes in the wrong place so this is what I did. First, I cut them down to the ground with that garden nipper with the extended handle. Then I hacked around the bottom of it nipping at it. I'm not comfortable using anything like an axe so this was my best second guess. Then I sprayed roundup on for a few days. I covered it over with heavy duty plastic and threw some gravel/rocks on it. Left it alone for a few years and then removed all those layers and put in a new bag of dirt. I did transfer some of the clippings to other parts of the back hill and some of them are during fine. This worked for me. Now if I could just have the same luck with the holly I would be in good shape.  

Esteemed Contributor

I buy blackberry brush killer from our hardware store. Works beautifully with no digging. It works best if the leaves are a bit moist (morning dew or after a soft rain). I spray four or five leaves at the end of the vine and it kills the whole plant roots and all.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I have one word-----

GOATS      ;-)

Valued Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

Boy, I wish I had some blackberry bushes...   Send them to me...

I was thinking the same exact thing! I love blackberries!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Brittany-QVC wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

Boy, I wish I had some blackberry bushes...   Send them to me...

I was thinking the same exact thing! I love blackberries!  Woman Very Happy

Oh don't wish for blackberry bushes----they are unrelenting. We have to whack them down every year and I think they LOVE that cuzz there is a bummper crop this year!! Makes me laugh when I see fresh black berries for sale at the grocery stores---I have them for free and they get huge!!  Can't keep up with them.

Valued Contributor

@wagirl Oh my! Sounds like a hearty plant! We have wild raspberries stalks in our yard that started out pretty small and have been getting bigger over the past year! Wonder if we'll run into the same issue! Well, at least they produce something delicious! Smiley Very Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Brittany-QVC and anyone else:

Raspberry care and culture:

http://nassau.cce.cornell.edu/resources/raspberries-growing

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Thanks @JustJazzmom! Mine looks just like the unruly plant shown towards the bottom of the guide, with all the side branches rooting into the ground! Looks like I might need to prune and train the branches up! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  A few years ago we had Blackberry plants just growing like crazy and tried everything that was safe to use because of the animals that came around at night.  We finally resorted to burning them and lo and behold when spring came they came back too.  We dug, chopped, plowed up the area but when we sold the place they bought the Blackberries too.  I don't know if you can actually get rid of them once they decide to grow.

Honored Contributor

I will trade you straight across for raspberry bushes!! I would be out there on guard for marauding critters just protect them!!!