Respected Contributor

Anyone having any mild weather that is letting them get into the garden a bit?  It is sunny and in the mid -40's where we live today (VA) and we did a bit of raking, trimming and some weed removal- looking forward to Spring already!

Honored Contributor

I'm in MA where it's cold and snowing now but last week when it was 50, the condo maintenance crew was raking/weeding/trimming. More seasonal weather today. They are shoveling and plowing.

Esteemed Contributor

@FastDogWalker2  I've ordered my seeds. Did most of my bed cleaning in the fall, so not much to do until it's time to start my seeds indoors.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gardening yet?

[ Edited ]

In the Northeast where I live, even when we have a few days of temps in the mid 40's, January is still too early and chilly for doing anything outside.  No one in my area is working in their yards.  

We have trimming, weed and leaf removal, during September up to mid November. Everything is done until early April when weeds begin to show up and we add more mulch.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Arizona and we have rock yards for the most part so no grass, mulch etc. As for gardening, if it's not done between October and April it ain't getting done because we don't step outside in the summer. Right now we've had two beautiful days of cloudy, rainy weather with more to come. No need to rush summer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still too early here in SE PA.  But I would like to spread compost before the spring bulbs pop through the surface.  Looks like I'll have a few warm days coming up to do so.

FYI - The first garden shows are next week, In The Garden With Sandra, Thursday (1/26) 3 - 4 pm and Friday (1/27) 4 - 5 am.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been unusually warm here in Dallas-Ft.Worth so I plan to get out in the garden to prune dead foliage and tidy up a bit. We are under siege by mountain cedar pollen blowing up from central Texas so I'll feel the effects. Winter is not over so I want the plants to be protected but the dry brown stalks and leaves need to be cleared away. Getting this done in the February-March timeframe is ideal but I'm a little anxious...Gotta be careful, as February usually hits us hard with cold weather!

Trusted Contributor

I'm on Long Island and it's too cold to do anything in the gardens yet.

No one really does anything garden-related around here until March.  It's still cold, but early spring flowers and greenery start to pop up from the ground. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am planning, and making lists, but can't do much outside now. The earth is still semi-frozen here and pruning isn't done now- I tried seeds last year but I lose everything when I transplant delicate seedlings, no more seeds for me!  
But so far a great winter in southern CT! Hope we aren't jinxing it!! 
Looking forward to the shows!   😊🙏

Super Contributor

A little wet, a little cool here in WA, but I'm still able to get out and "play in the dirt". Did just purchase my NW Flower and Garden Show tickets for the show in early Feb - after that, I'll be ready to garden!