Honored Contributor

Gardening ideas that I just don't "get".

There are some things in the gardening world that I just don't get. One of those is the desire to breed green colored flowers like the Envy Zinnia. I'm sure it's quite the breeding breakthrough, but why a green flower atop a green plant? "I like flowers I just don't want anyone to know I do, so I'll camouflage it!" Is that the answer? Maybe they're targeting that Saint Patrick's day crowd? I don't really get the desire to breed black flowers either. They do stand out though, just not in a good way to me. I guess if you want somber flowers for a funeral they'd do.

We're always told not to compact our soil. You must keep the soil light and aerated. Plant roots need oxygen to survive. Don't ever compact your soil. Then when you plant a tree or shrub you're instructed to heel it in and really press the soil tight against the rootball eliminating all air pockets. Uh, what? What happened to never compact the soil? (For the record, I don't heel in my shrubs and they do just fine.)

I'm sure others have their own personal pet peeves, but those are a few of mine. Feel free to share your own.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Gardening ideas that I just don't "get".

While I don't care for black flowers I guess there is a niche for them. On my friends 50th Birthday her sisters brought black flowers & sang Happy Birthday. I guess the black is to signify the end of youth. Also black are used for Halloween. I like bright colorful flowers.

Trusted Contributor

I adore the green Zinnias.  I've received them in a "white & green" bouquet and I fell in love with the flowers.  I had never seen them before and found them glorious.  Although, I'm a flower lover and must have their pretty around me at all times.

Honored Contributor

I think some people just want to grow something original, that nobody else has.  I do like to go for things that are different rather than what everybody else in town is growing, but green flowers is not it. 

I have heavy clay soil, so no matter what I do it will eventually end up compacted.  I amend when I plant, but now "they" say you shouldn't do that.  If I didn't do that nothing would even grow except a few weeds. 

I don't get why the vendors on QVC & HSN only sell in multiple colors.  That's one reason I never buy.  I don't want one each of three different colors.  I would prefer three of one color. 

Honored Contributor

I like flowers in every color.  The light green flowers are pretty, but the black flowers are not particularly pretty in the garden.  I think they are better used for cut flowers indoors.  I wouldn't plant a black flower.

No matter what color flowers I plant, I always plant a white flower with them.  The white sets off the beauty of the colors by providing contrast.

The sad part about many flowers, especially roses, is that the hybrids have no or little scent.  Flowers are best when they look and smell beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Come out and vent whenever you like @gardenman . I find green flowers interesting, but see no point in black flowers. Then again, I love mixed bouquets with all kinds of colors, and my friend who thinks she is an expert, hates them. I have one large flower bed with a variety of colors and types which many people have complimented, yet my friend says I'm doing it wrong. Obviously, my point is to grow what you like.

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman I hear ya!  A few years back I planted some green cone flowers and they are the least attractive plants in my garden - but I just don't have the heart to get rid of them lol.  Why did I even buy them?  Have no idea.

Honored Contributor

The market for different types & colors is probably driven by the demand by florists & decorators

Respected Contributor

@gardenman , I agree!  When I first saw green flowers, I thought boring, so not pretty.  Black is downright spooky😖   I keep a few potted plants of impatiens, pentas, vinca, and marigolds.  I have a big lavender lantana too.  I buy all colors, and really dont care about mixing it up...I've got reds, pink, white, the yellow marigolds.   I'm mostly into my Rose's, all colors, which are SUPER high maintenance here in Florida,  and will only buy strongly scented Rose's.  I do a whole research back n forth on each fragrance a rose offers.  My biggest pet peeve, is why on earth are there Rose's without fragrance, and why would anyone want them???  Ever notice, the first thing one does, is put their nose to the bloom?  My dad planted Rose's all over at our home in Brooklyn N.Y. all wonderfully fragranced.   He recently told me, my mom recieved a bouquet of Rose's, and they were shocked they didn't smell.   Told him, that's what they're breeding nowadays.  I dont get it.  Rose's are not only beautiful, but their variety of fragrances are just out of this world heavenly.  I think it's a great disservice  to breed a rose without her gorgeous fragrance.   There are many other flowers without fragrance to choose from.  Just my pet peeve. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman- I have to agree with you on the compacted soil thing.  I remember that Paul James (one of my garden heroes) used to say that once you plant a garden, you should never, ever walk on it.  Huh?  Then how do you pull weeds?  Deadhead?  Spread mulch?  I walk (or sit) all over my gardens and they are just fine and dandy.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt