Contributor

I'm not much of a gardener or outdoorsy person.  I decided to clear out the flowerbeds that were overgrown with weeds.  I cut most of the tall weeds and things that sprouted up.  I was bagging up most of it.  I know what poison ivy looks like and didn't see any of that.  I also got a leaf vacuum and sucked up some small leaves that were around the edge of the bed.  (Seemed to happen after that.)  This was about 4 days ago.

I started to get small red bumps a day or two later that didn't start out itchy on my forehead, chin and neck and around my straps on my shoulders.  Also some near my waist.  After a day or two they started to itch terribly and I seem to be getting a few more pop up in the same areas.  Some look like they kind of line up next to each other--especially the ones around my waist.  They don't look blistered up.  Do you think it is chiggers?  I've done some online searching and it kind of sounds like it.

Getting hot makes them itch more so I have stopped my efforts.  I live in Texas and it is very hot and humid.  Ideas anyone?  I'm gonna have to find something to kill them, if that is what it is.  Has anyone experienced this?  Do you think insect repellant will keep them off?

Honored Contributor

Re: Gardening and bug bites

[ Edited ]

@kiamom23 wrote:

I'm not much of a gardener or outdoorsy person.  I decided to clear out the flowerbeds that were overgrown with weeds.  I cut most of the tall weeds and things that sprouted up.  I was bagging up most of it.  I know what poison ivy looks like and didn't see any of that.  I also got a leaf vacuum and sucked up some small leaves that were around the edge of the bed.  (Seemed to happen after that.)  This was about 4 days ago.

I started to get small red bumps a day or two later that didn't start out itchy on my forehead, chin and neck and around my straps on my shoulders.  Also some near my waist.  After a day or two they started to itch terribly and I seem to be getting a few more pop up in the same areas.  Some look like they kind of line up next to each other--especially the ones around my waist.  They don't look blistered up.  Do you think it is chiggers?  I've done some online searching and it kind of sounds like it.

Getting hot makes them itch more so I have stopped my efforts.  I live in Texas and it is very hot and humid.  Ideas anyone?  I'm gonna have to find something to kill them, if that is what it is.  Has anyone experienced this?  Do you think insect repellant will keep them off?

My only experience with chiggers was when, as a young child, the family would go blackberry picking.  We'd get them then.  I lived 40 years in Houston and West Texas and never heard of anyone getting chiggers but it's possible.  They have every other creepy, crawly thing that exists.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

42b8d625a51b7259_bug-spray.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

We used to get chigger bites when we were in the sand at the lake cabin – I was always covered in bites.  The best thing I know of for any kind of bites these days is called Chiggerex (it is good for any type of itching/bites).   You can find it at Wal-Mart (Walgreens may have it, too) in the area with other anti-itch items.  It comes in a small white jar with a red cap.  It sells for approx $3 and is the best buy of the summer!  I always have multiple jars on hand.  Anyone I recommended try it has been pleasantly surprise that this little jar of cream works so darn well. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It could be Chiggers. DH cleared out some old shrubs & he got chiggers. He used Chiggerex from the drugstore. He would tell you it itched like never before. You can search Chigger bites & click on images to see what the bites look like.

chiggerex.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Pull your finger across the itching area and it will be temporarily white.  If you see timy red dots, it's chiggers.  They are red.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has been extremely hot and humid here the past ten days or so.  I was out weeding my flower beds which I do about every two weeks.  We also planted some tomato plants so I was weeding and trimming around those plants as well.  I started itching all over my legs.  I immediately stopped and took a shower.  The next evening we were sitting out on the deck and I started breaking out in little hard red bumps.  Chiggers.  I went to the drugstore and bought a spray to help with the itching.  The pharmacist said she had them and they were around the band on her bra.  She also had been out in the yard working.  At first I thought they were mosquitoes but those types of insect bites are usually the size of a quarter.  These chigger bites are horrible.  I have about fifteen of them on my legs.  I'm already better and not itching as much, but for two days I was miserable. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Contributor

Thanks everyone for the sympathy and suggestions!  I have all kinds of anti-itch and bite remedies.  I couldn't find the chiggerex locally.  I did find some benzocaine which is the ingredient in it.  I also saw that putting ice packs on the bites for short periods helps.  I'm trying it all!  It has been several days now.  I am always more sensitive to bug bites more than others so hopefully they will stop itching soon.  I read that it can take a couple of weeks to clear up.

Honored Contributor

Those are not just bites, there is chiggar larvae in there.  So you don't just need to relieve the itching, you have to use something to kill the chiggar.

I've used Chiggar Rid.   It goes on like clear nail polish, depriving the larvae of oxygen.

@kiamom23 wrote:

Super Contributor

I live in Kansas and you got chiggers! Nasty little things. They are in grass, weeds, foliage; I get them, basically, if I go outside and go off pavement. They crawl up from your feet and stop and bite when they reach barriers (panties, waistbands, bras, etc). Take about a week of misery to go away. I haven't found anything that helps except taking Benadryl at nite. However, bug spray before going out in the grass keeps them away. Sorry, know you're miserable!