Trusted Contributor

Gardenia Bush in container??? Help please.

I got a great deal on a Gardenia bush and it has been so beautiful for so long and it is small and I put it in a container and it is on my front porch and has bloomed since I have had it.  Now it looks withered and I have it still in the container on my porch.  I con't want to bring inside the home because of white flys...........should I dig a hole and place in my flower bed or leave on the porch in the plastic container. It is truly one of my favorite flowers. THANK YOU.  It gets 10 degrees here in the winter.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gardenia Bush in container??? Help please.

I don't think gardenias are winter-hardy.  But you could put it in the ground and hope for the best.  Otherwise, bring it inside after first treating for insects.  Inside, it'll need bright light and high humidity.  It may not thrive, but it just needs to make it through the next three or four months; then you can put it back outside.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @DowntonAbbey - if that's a tropical gardenia (sounds like it is), it won't survive the winter where you are.  There are some "hardy" gardenias for landscape use but even those would likely not survive temps down to 10 degrees.

As I'm sure you know, white fly is a pernicious pest and really difficult to get rid of.  If this were me, I'd thank the plant for the lovely show and the heady fragrance, and let it go on to compost heaven. 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I've never had white fly and didn't know it could be so bad.  Here are some ideas from Mike McGrath, who has an organic gardening call-in program on public radio:

Whiteflies!

Honored Contributor

The gardenias I am familiar with are houseplant varieties. And their biggest enemy is spider mites-- if you see webbing between the leaves and tiny dots moving on them, then its spider mites. They are the insect very difficult to get rid of. Spraying with horticultural oil might cause the leaves to drop off. As Sweetbay Magnolia mentioned it might be best to enjoy it outside and then put it tino compost heaven.

Whitefly are usually attracted to bright yellow or orange flowers-- that is why yellow sticky cards are used to control them inside where you have houseplants.

I had to get rid of a planted in ground gaillardia (blanket flower) as it became a white fly magnet. I didn't want them 'discovering' my roses near by.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Gardenias are tricky indoor plants.  I've been told they need the right amount of humidity, light, warmth and moisture.  Living in the Northeast, I've found they do not do well simply keeping them in a sunny location.  They are susceptible to little critters.

Honored Contributor

My experience with gardenias is the buds present when I receive the plant almost always fall off.  The florist told me most homes are too dry for much success.