Respected Contributor

I learned the hard way that it's good to know the poisonous snakes in your area.

Moved to FL from MI and gleefully walked around our mulched landscaping, pulling weeds, etc. Saw a lot of black racers, but one day my husband came into the house to get our camera and took a picture of a brightly striped snake - looked it up online and yes, it was a poisonous coral snake.  Shortly after that, we relandscaped and put in stones.: womanwink:

cimg0303.jpg

Denise
Respected Contributor
I HATE snakes!!! I'm in Florida and they're everywhere here!!. I had chicken coops and always found them in there..disgusting!! I dont have them anymore due to health reasons, and dont miss the critters. I do however frequently see them around my house, racers, water moccasins, rat snakes, both coral, and mock coral, corn snakes too. HATE THEM ALL!! We take em all out!! I carry a 22 snake shot. A couple things I do as a preventative is avoid ground cover plants, or low lying bushy plants, anything they can hide under. I sometimes place mothballs around the foundation. I'm now trying ammonia on small piece of rag placed in an open baggie around the house. I have several all around. It's done to deter their Jacobson gland which picks up scents. They dont like it. Not sure if its helping yet...hubby saw a racer on the lawn, and I found a snake skin on my river rocks. They like rocks to shed their skin...UGHHH! I'm ALWAYS on the lookout.
Super Contributor

I won't be able to sleep tonight!!!

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

There is never just one rattler, so don't let your guard down.

Their only value is to harvest the venom to prepare anti-venom.

In south Alabama there is a yearly "rodeo" just for that purpose.

Creeps me out but necessary if you live in rattlesnake territory.

Rattlesnake Rodeo

@software   Wrong, wrong, wrong snakes, rattlers and others are very beneficial in controlling populations of rodents.  Rats and mice probably would have taken over the world if it weren't for snakes.  I would remove but not kill any snake I encountered unless there was eminent danger.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Gardeners Beware !

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@software wrote:

There is never just one rattler, so don't let your guard down.

Their only value is to harvest the venom to prepare anti-venom.

In south Alabama there is a yearly "rodeo" just for that purpose.

Creeps me out but necessary if you live in rattlesnake territory.

Rattlesnake Rodeo

@software   Wrong, wrong, wrong snakes, rattlers and others are very beneficial in controlling populations of rodents.  Rats and mice probably would have taken over the world if it weren't for snakes.  I would remove but not kill any snake I encountered unless there was eminent danger.

You are right but there are other predators, not poisonous, that can do the same thing.

We have lots of raptors for that.   I prefer raptors to rattlers.

Rattlers kill people.   They are not our friend.

Regular Contributor

I live in central Texas, in the country and so far have killed 3 diamond back rattlers.  Used a shovel and a 22.  You have to watch where you go, everywhere, but more so in the country.  The extreme heat is driving them in, looking for water.  Not good.  Be aware of surroundings.  Thankfully I have feral cats that roam on my property.  They do help keep snakes away.

Honored Contributor

Got him you brave girl!