Regular Contributor

Hi fourpaws56,

Your story brought back memories from a few years ago when I opened our garage door to go out to greet my husband and stepped out of the garage.  From the corner of my eye, I saw a movement on the ground.  Looking down, I had stepped RIGHT BETWEEN 2 RATTLESNAKES that had apparently been resting a foot apart in the sun.  I couldn't believe it!  I never moved so fast!  I'm glad my hubby witnessed it and was there to get one of them with the shovel but the smaller one got away.  Hubby said the smaller/younger ones can be more deadly because they don't know how to control their venom yet and can release more when they bite.

I'm sorry about your friend. I'm a lot more vigilant now when in the yard and in the garage.   I haven't seen any since then.  We live near Sacramento, California by the American River.

GET RICH...........Count Your Blessings!
Esteemed Contributor

I watched some program about survivor and they stated that a head of a rattle snake can still bite and posion you even after it's been cut off. He said that's why the head needs to be buried in the ground. Who knew??? I thought that their mouth must be like a trap that works with or without the body. How scary.

Contributor

Good God Where do you live!

Honored Contributor

There is never just one rattler, so don't let your guard down.

Their only value is to harvest the venom to prepare anti-venom.

In south Alabama there is a yearly "rodeo" just for that purpose.

Creeps me out but necessary if you live in rattlesnake territory.

Rattlesnake Rodeo

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56  WOW, you are a savvy woman! Cheers from Nebraska. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Good reaction on your part! Don't hesitate to kill a rattle snake as they are dangerous. I grew up in the OK panhandle and they are all over there. I have garter snakes in my flower beds but I still check them out when I see one to make sure what kind of snake it is. I am glad you saw it and were able to take care of it without getting bit. Scary!!

Esteemed Contributor

They live in all of North and South America!  

Always be aware of your surroundings.  

Walked up on a Pigmy Rattler a couple of weeks ago.  First one I have ever seen one and I have lived here all my life and in this house for 20 years!  

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 All I can say is wow! I’ve encountered numerous snakes through my many years on the family farm in East Texas. As I’m getting they freak me out now.  I know they are here in OK but I don’t see them. I’m sure all kinds of varmits are coming out due to all the rain.

Respected Contributor

@Bascia wrote:

Good God Where do you live!

California