Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 I do not know how to post pictures. There is very little landscaping done here in the mountains of New Mexico. The towering piñon trees and junipers give us natural, native beauty. We use river rock or smaller varieties to protect slopes from erosion or provide the illusion of flower beds. No outdoor watering is allowed.

When the monsoon season arrives the native grasses will come alive. They grow very quickly and can cover the ground looking like a grass yard. Everyone in the village needs the yard guys at the exact same time. LOL

Feeding wildlife is prohibited as well. We have an abundance of deer, elk, and even wild horses. Police arrive if feeding is observed and pass out fines. Attracting wildlife to your home is dangerous. They bring ticks, disease, and the occasional hungry mountain lion. It is much safer to just let them roam through of their own accord. Bear are attracted to bird feeders both seed and nectar, so those are a big no as well.

Our landscape has its own type of beauty, but there is little we can do to enhance it other than the occasional yard ornament or spinner.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

Thank you.  What are the blue flowers please?  Very unusual.

Regular Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

Your garden tours are a treat.  Picture #4, the statuary is stunning.  How does it weather over time?

Respected Contributor

Re: Garden pics May 29/22

[ Edited ]

@On It , thank you for the education about New Mexico.  I am sure the natural beauty is something to see.  Great descriptions of wildlife.  We have black bears, coyotes, bobcats, porcupines, beavers around our area.  The beavers are playing havoc with my gardens at lakeside.  I plan to do a remake down there later this year.

They have been pushed out of some of their habitat by mew construction.  DH reminds me they help keep the lake clean so I try to let it go.  Not only are they defpikiating my spruce, they are dropping trees on a couple of my prized rhododendrons.  Little deceits.  I have moved most of the shrubs to other gardens and will plant beaver proof shrubs...roses, Barberry, thorny stuff.  Live and let live!  

The only birds we feed are the hummers.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG , if you mean the statuary, it is morning glories...off to make sure that is what you mean.  I also saw some allium getting ready to bloom (tall single stems).

@ladyfox412 , the artist who makes these garden statuary is a metal worker.  His pieces have grown more lovely over the years.  They stay out all winter through the rain, sleet and snow and nothing changes.  The stems may take on a rust look but that is part of the charm.  He uses two or three coasts of a clear coat that preserves the colour.  I have pieces of his that are 15 years old and they look as good as they day I bought them.  He uses metal from old furnace oil tankers for a lot of it.  See below for a few other pieces.  LM

AA17778C-95F1-4D4E-AA90-89453F2F8760.jpeg

988ADFAE-996B-4AC0-BC0D-6A0E76AAAEAE.jpeg

FFD930E6-0326-4A09-B238-2597ABA8B441.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for sharing scenes from your ever-beautiful gardens.  I do love all your plantings, but I especially appreciate the artistic ornaments you have collected.

My gardens pale against yours, to be sure, but we do like some tasteful decorative objects interspersed for interest.

It certainly adds to the joy of our short summers.

We did have an arbor put in many years back, and we made the right decision.  While not fans of artificial wood, we did select a large one for kind of the entrance to our backyard from our driveway.  It has served us well, supporting our very huge honeysuckle vine.  Still very strong, and appreciative that it will always remain white!  but the picket fence on either side is wooden and always needs care.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful pictures!

Honored Contributor

I like your Obelisks.  I'd like to have one to grow clematis on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT @your arbor sounds perfect.  I love easy care outdoor furniture and decor.  I was one of the first on board for the poly Adirondack chairs and benches.  We never take them in and they are heavy enough not to be affected by high winds which we get here.  Low maintenance is definitely the way to go.

I bought an obelisk yesterday locally made with pressure treated wood.  They are not easy to find.  It is 6.5' high.  It looks like a good sturdy one..Weare are going to do some work at the lake so that will probably be its final destination.  

@Icegoddess , fingers crossed the beaver doesn't go for treated wood. LM