Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Your astilbe is exactly the same one/color we have. Of course our's finished blooming at least a month ago.  And our JoePye is just beginning to fully bloom. 

I have a fabulous clump of Spigelia Marilandica that's just opening it's 2nd set of blooms.  A close friend of mine shared his clump with me and it really does great in our yard.  Would love to see one in your garden. The flowers on this plant is very special and certainly one of my very favs.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Beautiful!  How is the hydrangea that you planted to cover a large rock doing?

I love the rock wall with the ferns in it. Smiley Happy

I have tons of pictures, but havn't posted any yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, I just looked up Spigelua marilandica. It is beautiful with great colour.  Bet the hummers like it.  It says zone 5 so it would grow here.  It also says it is a wildflower.  I don't spent much time in the garden centres anymore as my garden is full.  All I do now is move perennials that are being crowded it by growing shrubs🙂.  I have a friend with a landscaping job coming up so while I a, helping her, I will look for this.

Our hydrangeas are just coming into bloom.  Late this year because of low precipitation I think.  We are in August and my thyme has yet to bloom.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Garden pics Aug/17

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl, below are a couple of shots to give you some perspective on how  big the rock is and what a job the hydrangea has ahead of it.

The hydrangea has doubled in size since I planted it.  I planted a second one but had to move it as it was too wet.  The hydrangea is behind the rhododendron in photo 2.  No blooms yet.  Fingers crossed.  Pays to be patient, huh?  

Looking forward to your photos.  LM

IMG_1268.JPGIMG_1262.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Re @Lilysmom  I surely don't get pictures of that quality with my iPad but it's about 5 yrs old.  I can't even see out in the sun to take a picture with those things.  You do very well.

That rainfall was point nine six, not ninety six. .96

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, my iPad 3 was five plus.  I traded it in for an iPad Pro 9.7.  I figured  that the rain number was inaccurate.  We are supposed to get some tonight.  Hoping so because we sorely need it.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  Love your garden pics.  I had to have a lot of my landscaping removed last fall.  It was getting out of hand, too much for me to handle and I can't afford to hire it out.  I still have some flower beds left, something I can handle so far. 

I have astillbe, pincushion, blanket and filled in w/petunias. 

Respected Contributor

Just spectacular, Lilysmom.

I just love rocks in garden areas.

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3, yes I understand what you mean about getting to be too much.  It is a lot of work.  I have been shifting to easier to manage shrubs.  I took out a veggie garden and a couple of small gardens this year.  April to July are the biggest work months for me.  I really enjoy August and September.  Less work, everything mature, easier pace.  Keeps me busy!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@spot555, it's funny you should say this.  I was just visiting a friend helping her plan out a backyard garden.  We have rocks galore, mostly granite, which is beautiful in the landscape.  It looks like there isn't a rock in her yard so she will have to buy what she uses.  Mother Nature was kind to us in that respect.  I have learned to move those that I can and incorporate those I can't😊.  LM