Respected Contributor

@luvzchiz @The lilac scent is amazing...going to miss it!  S

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@HLP   I bought a Japanese Maple at Loew's that was struggling on its last legs and selling at a deep discount as I'm sure it wasn't expected to live.  I came home with my rescue and planted it where I could see it from the living room window.  The years passed and it survived...it is now thriving!  So proud of that little tree.

Yes, my first one didnt make it, but my garden center replaced it, and I can see mine from my living room window, and it has a lot of green , new growth on it this year. I get a lot of good idas from Satomi, and love her gadens, so glad she shares them with us.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@HLP , so glad you are enjoying the Japanese maples.  Love that you got some ideas from me.  Don't know if I posted my latest...see below.  It is called Moon Rising.

That Full Moon is a sight for sore eyes!

Hope you enjoy this one.  S

5FF41AA9-6E78-454B-80ED-9F3B3544650A.jpeg

Yes this is what I bought. Love it

Respected Contributor

Everything looks gorgeous!!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1   How long did it take for the lighter colored Lilac to grow to this size?

Respected Contributor

@HLP , gardeners are the best at sharing!  S

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl  That lilac probably has been there 5-8 years.  It is Korean, Miss Kim I believe.  My preference is the common lilac probably because it reminds me of the home I grew up in.  I had one here as well as three Ivory Silks.  They were all prolific bloomers and grew to an enormous size.  I removed all of them as we they got too large.  There are still many lilacs left.  

We went through an edit in the gardens over the last several years on the main property.

We got the yard ready for a sit down mower by removing all the outliers into main garden beds.  The lilacs were obstructing views they had gotten so big.  I had to get on a step ladder and pull the common lilac to me to prune.  Still no sit down mower but the property is ready when DH decides to do it.  S

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@mousiegirl  That lilac probably has been there 5-8 years.  It is Korean, Miss Kim I believe.  My preference is the common lilac probably because it reminds me of the home I grew up in.  I had one here as well as three Ivory Silks.  They were all prolific bloomers and grew to an enormous size.  I removed all of them as we they got too large.  There are still many lilacs left.  

We went through an edit in the gardens over the last several years on the main property.

We got the yard ready for a sit down mower by removing all the outliers into main garden beds.  The lilacs were obstructing views they had gotten so big.  I had to get on a step ladder and pull the common lilac to me to prune.  Still no sit down mower but the property is ready when DH decides to do it.  S

@Lilysmom1  Thank you.  I asked because I have some Lilacs that have been in small pots for over ten years, and this year, we put them in 25 gallon pots and already they are growing from the bottom, so happy are they to have room for their roots to grow.  Even in the small pots, some of them bloomed as the roots had gone into the ground.  I have bought more along the way.

Originally, the older were in the ground, and either gophers or neglect caused some to die, so I quickly potted them to save them.

I am hoping they will burst into bloom next Spring.  If I get a bouquet from each plant, I will be happy.  I know they will never reach their potential, and I have bought some gorgeous faux Lilacs, but they, of course, do not emit the fragrance.

I have one that is original and in the ground and it is gorgeous, more like a tree than a shrub, and four others in the ground, one blooms well, the others only three or so.  They are in wire baskets which restricts them for some time, eventually the roots break through and are strong enough to withstand gophers.

This year, my goal is to get all plants into the areas they should be color wise, repot into larger pots those that need it, and toss some daylilies that I don't like and don't produce much, to make room for more, lol.  It is the beginning of a daylily wonderland in my garden now, and it will extend into late Fall.  Every morning, I go right to the gardens to see what has bloomed and to remove the dead flowers.  No other plants gives one so much for their money as daylilies, a daily surprise, beautiful flowers, bee food, and stronger than any other plant I know of.

Respected Contributor

Re: Garden blooms Jun 24/21

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl  the animals can cause havoc in the garden can't they?  I wonder if there is a way to hamper them.  Could you put some chicken wire around the tree?  I don't mean around the trunk but on the ground at the base of the tree?  That might stop them from digging. Or some strong landscape cloth?  It must be hard for the tree to produce if not in the ground.  I don't think you have winters like us.  What do you think?  S

PS, I saw a photo of that lilac yesterday from five years ago so my guess is the age is 7.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@mousiegirl  the animals can cause havoc in the garden can't they?  I wonder if there is a way to hamper them.  Could you put some chicken wire around the tree?  I don't mean around the trunk but on the ground at the base of the tree?  That might stop them from digging. Or some strong landscape cloth?  It must be hard for the tree to produce if not in the ground.  I don't think you have winters like us.  What do you think?  S

PS, I saw a photo of that lilac yesterday from five years ago so my guess is the age is 7.

@Lilysmom1   Everything in the ground is in wire baskets that DH made.  We are tired of that so everything else is in black nursery pots, so much easier for me.  When I have to divide daylilies, I just remove them from the pots divide and repot in fresh soil, but this doesn't happen often.  Gophers doen't like salvia, lavender, or rosemary, so I have loads of those plants in the ground without baskets.

The lilacs in the ground bloom every year.  We get cold enough weather for that to happen.  The lilacs I mentioned that have been cramped for years, produced blooms in half of them, so as I said, I have high hopes that next Spring they will all bloom now that they have room to grow.

I think bunnies ate all of my strawberry plants down to the nub, but they have bounced back.  There are rats around, so I count on the owls and hawks, but where are they this year, I wonder.  I rescued an owlet last week, my third, had the Wildlife Rescue come for it, so hope it survived, I will never know.