Frequent Contributor

Garden app - Do you have a favorite?

I lose track of the names of plants in my garden and when I have planted and fertilized them.  Does anyone use an app for tablet or phone to track this?  Or is it more trouble than its worth?

Honored Contributor

Re: Garden app - Do you have a favorite?

I don’t use an app but a journal. I put next to the date an * if I put down fertilizer, a square for when I apply crabgrasspreventer, a triangle for when I apply Epsom salts & a circle for when I apply Wilt Pruf (an anti desiccant).

A journal lets me go into detail about the plants, rainfall & how hot or cold it gets.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Black Pony, I have something even better than an app.  I belong to a FB group that is an association of all the garden clubs in my Province.  We share information, knowledge, sales info, plants.  Some very knowledgeable people on this site.

Also great to have certified Master Gardeners here in our gardening forum like @JustJazzmom who willingly share their information and knowledge with us.  LM

Frequent Contributor

I am a master gardener as well. This is only my second year. I go to regular meetings but I was just looking for a note taking / reminder/ calendar sort of app for gardeners to track my own projects.  I may download several and give them a try.  I was just wondering if anyone had an app that was actually useful.  My local group, hard working community -minded folks that they are, are not keen on the technical end of things!  

Honored Contributor

Welcome @Black Pony. Where are you a Master Gardener? I’m one on LI, NY.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

Central Arkansas - Saline County MG. I was trained in a different county but attend meetings here.  A wonderful bunch! 

Esteemed Contributor

Whatever works best, in the garden as in other things.

I've been in the nursery business for 30 years, so it's become reflex for me to do what needs to be done.  Weather is a big cue.  I'm not terribly dogmatic, though some things never change, and sometimes all the rules go out the window.

Happy gardening!🌙

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia...’sometimes rules go out the window...’.  Isn’t that the truth?  It seems to be the case more and more often with our highly variable summers now.  Long periods of low precipitation and then huge downpours come to mind as we are going through a dark, rainy period right now.

@Black Pony,welcome to our forum! If you find something useful in your quest and are able to be share, that would be nice.  One of our major nurseries here in Nova Scotia is, for the first time, publishing a calendar with a timeline for different garden chores.  I am sure it will be a popular Christmas gift.  LM

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the welcome, I have downloaded several apps from the app store on gardening.  I will report back if I find any one of them worth the trouble!

Valued Contributor

i would love to hear some good apps.