Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1  I'd like to add that gnome to my 3 that live in my tree stump!

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Lali1  I'd like to add that gnome to my 3 that live in my tree stump!

My husband has an odd sense of humor. He also put up a sign saying door knockers should be ready to pay us $20 an hour to listen to their sales pitch. 

I bet your gnomes are adorable 😊 Much more interesting that just flowers. 

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler wrote:

My adult son says he can tell how old the resident is by the number of gnomes, garden flags and accents a person has in the yard.

@traveler 

I've also been saying that for decades. And, wondering if their homes are as cluttered as their landscaping when driving past.

I also feel so sorry for their adult children who will have to clean up and dispose of those items when mom and dad are too old to maintain the yard or one of them passes away and selling the home becomes necessary. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Garden accents

[ Edited ]

I think this one is "to each her/his own"...! Some of us like doo-dads, as I like to call them, and some don't. I do not put anything like that in the front of my town house -- just flowers. But, in my private patio in the back (that only I can see), I love looking at my fun and whimsical garden stakes, pink flamingo, my grandfather's sun dial, and a couple of wind chimes! No garden flags though. Again -tp each her own. There are plenty of online garden shops that sell more upscale items for those who don't like whimsical.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of yard art, and this year, I have put wreaths on the door in the same category.  I don't know why but that's just how I feel this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have bunches of accents in my gardens. 

I guess that means I'm old.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

Most of the garden shows have unattractive figurines and accessories.  I'm sorry but the TSV looks really fake.  Fairies, gnomes, critters, planters all look cheap...but aren't.  Maybe next year QVC could have a line of garden accents that blend more naturally with a real garden...in other words, nicer.

@Gabidog   Zulily has some wonderful garden accents throughout the year.

Honored Contributor

we used to call all that .....stuff...yard junk........

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady 

I don't agree with you.  If people enjoy "garden junk" (as I call it), they should go ahead and include it in the garden.   OK, I see a problem with hoarding useless carp, but if one enjoys garden decor, should it be avoided just so the kids won't be inconvenienced down the road?

When I walk my neighborhood and see a decorative item in someone's yard, I think, "Oh, nice."

Esteemed Contributor

@Another new name Sue  I doubt they think about their life's accumulations or what their adult children will have to do. 

So we could probably agree that they are living a happy, head-in-the-sand type of life!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.