Valued Contributor

Most of the garden shows have unattractive figurines and accessories.  I'm sorry but the TSV looks really fake.  Fairies, gnomes, critters, planters all look cheap...but aren't.  Maybe next year QVC could have a line of garden accents that blend more naturally with a real garden...in other words, nicer.

Respected Contributor

My adult son says he can tell how old the resident is by the number of gnomes, garden flags and accents a person has in the yard.

Honored Contributor

I felt, even last year, that the TSV looked extremely fake.  Even more than the usual "fakes".

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

My adult son says he can tell how old the resident is by the number of gnomes, garden flags and accents a person has in the yard.

That's a great observation.  I detest garden flags and, thinking of flags in the neighborhood, their owners are all seniors.  One neighbor, in her 60's, does zero gardening, but faithfully puts out the same faded flag every summer.  Nice ...

Respected Contributor

Wow a lot of assumptions in this thread. I have had garden flags forever and I'm not old. I also have a gnome that my husband bought who is showing a little naughty finger symbol. 

Valued Contributor

The only thing I bought so far was the set of 3 Hanging Rail pots for my fence. Other than that, nothing much appealed to me. 

Honored Contributor

Everyone is different.  I have my friend who helps me put out various “decorations” ever Spring.

My favorite thing is a white iron bicycle that has a basket.  She puts hanging flowers in the basket in my yard at the top of my driveway.

In my backyard ( which mostly I see) she puts up a few decorations in the patio.

I enjoy looking out on my screened porch and seeing lots of flowers and a few declarations.

As I said, everyone is different.  I’ve always done my best in celebrating everyone’s differences.

I also appreciate those who don’t decorate.

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler Agree with your son..........neighbor around 80 - since moved - - had so many trinkets I was embarrassed.

Thankfully he took his toys with him..........

Respected Contributor

Re: Garden accents

[ Edited ]

Well, today I bought the peacock solar light, the butterfly wind chimes, and the Lionheart lily bulbs.

I also just hung up my two Plow & Hearth giant hearts on my backyard deck fence and they look great!

I love how all the garden accents mix with the colors of the flowers.

Yes, I also have a lovely flower flag on my front porch. We change the flags for every season and they look great flying from our porch column.

By the way, I am a very stylish person and my gardens were all professionally designed by a local horticulturist.  

My snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils, hyacinths and tulips and my wild cherry tree have all bloomed and look amazing.  My peonies and my hydrangea are starting to bud.  Everywhere there are butterflies, bees and birds zooming around.

I just had my giant beech nut trees trimmed by an arborist, and as they bloom, the woodpeckers and squirrels are looking to make nests.

I am very tempted to purchase a cute QVC bistro set, but all our garden furniture is Victorian antique white cast iron, which holds up for a few hundred years.

QVC garden shows give me many great ideas and inspire me to constantly improve my property!

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler wrote:

@traveler I tend to agree with your son. As I get older (read retired) I have more time to spend in the garden. I like adding little things to it to make me smile. Not everything QVC presented today is to my taste, but I see no reason why people can't make their home their castle. I intend to become quite eccentric as I grow older!