Esteemed Contributor

Re: Garden Walkabout July 16/18

@Sweetbay magnolia, we are both very lucky to have mature trees.  That is one of the reasons I chose to build here.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, is the ground cover Spurge?  I planted a new one this year called bearberry.  It is an evergreen.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @Lilysmom - the groundcover is Parthenocissus quinquifolia (Virginia creeper).  It is wild here; unfortunately many mistake if for poison ivy and it gets eradicated for not real reason, except to re-plant with invasives like ivy and vinca.  I admit to some of those, too, but they were planted before I came so I just attempt to contain them.

The creeper climbs the trees, too, but I contain it to my height and I love the fall color and it's part in the native ecosystem.

The Arcostaphylos uvi-ursi (bearberry - sorry, couldn't help it,love that name!) is one I have not cultivated, though I find it finicky in the nursery in my hot humid climate with rocky clay.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Breathtakingly beautiful

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, some time, take a close up of the Virginia creeper and post for me.

The bearberry is a new ground cover for me recommended  by a nurseryman at one of my favorite garden centres.  I planted one and it is settling in nicely.  Our soil is claylike and we have rocks galore so I get that!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey, so nice!  Thank you.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Always informative and appreciated.

I agreed to host a garden tour in August at the request of a garden club in an adjacent community.  I have never done this before and I think I will enjoy it.  Hoping we get a nice day!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

fullsizeoutput_de.jpegMany tries later - @Lilysmom, here is Virginia creeper in the native eastern woodland.  It also follows the ground.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia@Lilysmom 

Virginia creeper vine is invasive in several states & is frequently mistaken for poison ivy! Only Va. creeper has 5 leaflets not 3.

Your photos look lovely Lilysmom.

My garden is chugging along & I am waiting for carpenters & electricians & gutter folks to leave eventually so I can replant my peonies, daffodil bulbs & add some variegated sedge to a 2’ X 28’ area along a paved path next to our new garage. 

I will need the help of the lawn crew to prepare the soil as it’s been compacted by machinery & filled with bank run rocks & cement. That side of my yard also needs new sprinkler heads to water the lawn, which will also be replaced in the early fall.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, so pretty.  Looks like it would be a good weed blocker.  

I am always afraid to try to try the vine like plants.  I have a neighbor who planted English ivy and it took over her yard, tree trunks, rocks, everywhere.  

I wonder if it loses leaves in Fall?  LM