Respected Contributor

@Kabella , ❤️Thank you.  I Lovett spend the summer months working outside.  In these times of Covid it is a welcome diversion.  S

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Yes I agree! It brings me Joy too! The photo's of your beautiful garden & style took much effort & love over the years. I do love your use of texture...Hardscape...evergreens & Perrenials. A work of Art!

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 We have lived most of our lives in New England. I spent yrs. on my Garden getting it the way I envisioned it. Well, we moved to Fl. & what a learning curve it was for me. The plants I loved in Ma. most do not work in such a warm climate. So, finally I can say it working out fine. I brought in flag stone pavers & edged most of my beds in the front of the house with them. I do have Tropical plants but also have evergreens with perennials that work well here. I tryed to bring some type of look I had in NE. I don't have the typical cottage garden because I do like hardy plants in the mix. I do like flowers that attract pollinaters such as butterflies & Bees. 

Funny story last wk. We have a fountain as part of a front walkway leading to our front door, Anyway, we have RING. We were out shopping & Ring makes a jingle sound. We looked on our phone & there were massive Bubbles coming out of our fountain because its kinda large lol!!!! (Honey Look Its snowing) Saw the kid that did the deed. Long story, apparently he was the culprit to another lady down the street.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

Everything looks fresh and green and lovely especially your backyard visitor! When may we stop by for tours and tea? 😊🌷🌲☕️

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Icegoddess , I don't like Fall cleanup either.  We have oak leaves galore and they don't break down as you know.  After taking advice from a friend, I now mulch the leaves and use the mulch in the garden.  It is very rich and improves the soil.

I have done a lot over the last few years to consolidate gardens.  We still have a lot but it is better.  It helps to love gardening🙂.  S

@Lilysmom1 The problem with trying to mulch the leaves is, at least at my house, they always seem to have stuff in them that won't mulch and jams up the mulcher.  Either hickory hulls or pine cones.  This year I had raked all the leaves in a couple of beds into hills I planned to mulch.  However, when hubby started trying to mulch them the mulcher kept hanging up on something that rrequired him to take it apart to get out, so we quickly gave up on that idea.  I think it works better when you can blow the leaves into piles which he does with the lawn leaves, but I can't really do that in the beds.  There's either too many obstacles or I can't get behind the leaves to blow them out.  

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 ....im glad you did so for Lily.  I'm in agriculture on 5 acres...I've had the luxury of burying my pets here.  I just panted Asylum, and Lilly of The Valley for Teaspoon ( my Maltese)  I have a tulip solar light that comes at night.  I've done this for all my pets here.

I planted a Neptune Rose bush for my boy Maverick, a silver lab.    I think its a nice comfort, and pleasant to the eye as well.  Do whatever comforts you...BIG HUG TO YOU!!!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 Not sure why it's sideways! 

161DF725-7659-4D1F-A60B-DCA59A29160A.jpeg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom , simply beautiful.  I love the shape.  A star in the garden.

FYI, photo is sideways because it was not edited.  

While my Kousa in the back yard is loaded with flowers, the one in the front is not.  I checked it yesterday.

I am on the hunt for Japanese maples and have narrowed it down to these...

The ones with three stars are high on my list.  They will be in full sun which I am a bit concerned about.  The location is protected by mature trees so they will be understory.

***Koto no ito

***Waterfall

Garnet (looks very similar to Crimson Queen which I already have so low on the list)

Mikawa Yaysubusa

Sister Ghost 

***Peaches & Cream

Amber Ghist

Would love to hear up your comments.  I am in zone 5, with a push to 6 given climate change.

Thoughts?  S

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

Not familiar with these Japanese maples. But the finer the leaf or more lacy, the less likely it will like direct sun. Many do well as understory trees.

I didn't see an edit button before taking it from the Photo Library. I guess it would need editing in the Photo Library which is showing the correct direction. Weird....

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom , yes, the photo must be edited in your library before posting.

Thanks for the info on leaf size.

We are supposed to hit 25 C today...our first real heat of the season (80 degrees).  A garden day for sure!  S