Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, yes some new birds in the rock wall.  That was my hobby on the cold wet rainy days of Spring.  FInches and red cardinals.  We have never had a red cardinal in our yard.  I know they are sighted in the Annapolis Valley area of our Province which is a warmer location.  

Your burgundy fern sounds lovely.  Ferns grow wild all over the property which I love.  I have some Japanese painted ferns and umbrella ferns.  Can you post a photo?  Would love to see it.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Finches - lovely little birds.  We have both red and golden at our feeders all year round.  As the summer gets going so does their color, they both turn really bright and colorful. 

Last week we had our first hummer back in the garden.  My  husband brings home from his nursery a shrimp plant tree.  The hummers love this plant.  They flit from flower to flower gobbling as much nectar they can.  We usually have a couple of varieties of hummers too.  So much fun to watch.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom, I would actually pay to experience your beautiful & peaceful sanctuary!  Total awesomeness!!

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@Lilysmom, I would actually pay to experience your beautiful & peaceful sanctuary!  Total awesomeness!!

@BornToShop, what a compliment!  So sweet.  The garden is a labor of love for me.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD, yes some new birds in the rock wall.  That was my hobby on the cold wet rainy days of Spring.  FInches and red cardinals.  We have never had a red cardinal in our yard.  I know they are sighted in the Annapolis Valley area of our Province which is a warmer location.  

Your burgundy fern sounds lovely.  Ferns grow wild all over the property which I love.  I have some Japanese painted ferns and umbrella ferns.  Can you post a photo?  Would love to see it.  LM

@Lilysmom I have a cardinal that has been banging on our family room window for about five years now. I would more than gladly send him your way. They think they see a rival male in their reflection and try to scare him away by attacking it. We have tried every suggestion known to man to get him to stop. Covering the window-(he just goes to the ones next to it then)-putting reflective things out there, hanging rubber snakes, putting up statues of falcons and owls etc. etc. Nothing deters him and his mate just sits in a nearby bush and watches-probably shaking her head and rolling her eyes. We have tried every solution that we have read about and nothing stops him; so we have just given up and listen to him bang day after day. I am suprised that he has lived this long with all the abuse that he has given to his little body. If only someone could explain to the poor little guy that it is not a real bird that he sees. Where's Dr. Doolittle when you need him?

So between the koi predators and the crazy cardinal we have quite a lively back yard.

Once again, thank you for posting the lovely photos of your gardens. They look like such  lovely places to wander or to sit and meditate.

It looks like you may have quite a few steps down to the lake.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu, the poor red cardinal.  Like you, I am surprised he hasn't killed himself in the process.  We get bird strikes some times as well.  Usually the small yellow finches.  I try to keep the shades pulled half way.  I have a retractable awning over the living room windows that face the backyard.  When that is out, we have no trouble.

We have a hill down to the lake.  A few years ago, I got smart and bought a side by side ATV.  I use that when I have things to take back and forth to the lake and also use it when the big hill looks like too much after a few hours in the garden.  It was a good move.  We appreciate it more as we age!

Thanks for  stopping by to see my garden photos.  LM

Honored Contributor

Lily, Buddha is great.  I'm taking baby steps since I'm new to to gardening.  My first victory...........drum roll please.........small harvest of radishes, lol. 

18739191_2079724272254927_1097790992980502801_o.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH, good for you!  The radishes look delicious.  Great to see the results of your hard work.  LM

Honored Contributor
@Lilysmom, hi, I've been away from the boards for a week or so, just now seeing your lovely garden this year. Looks beautiful and so serene. Lots of hard work, but so worth it. I thought I saw some new things from last year. also. Good job, lady. You deserve to relax and enjoy.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@Snicks1, things are coming up all over the place now.  We have had a lot of rain lately.  Everything is looking lush!  LM.