Esteemed Contributor

I like snakes, myself.  He/she in the photo is very pretty. They're really good for the ecosystem (of course, there are obviously a few I'd rather not have a run in with).

We have skinks, too.  Love those little guys!

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 19.38.07.png

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

I really wish I could get over my severe phobia of snakes. I am TERRIFIED by them. Even little garder snakes.  I know they mean no harm and technically I invaded their territory, but I just can't get past the fear. I won't even go over to our garden in the late summer after things have grown up due to the fear of seeing one. I have my older kids or husband harvest the veggies. Pathetic, I know.  I love almost all creatures....except snakes. ~sorry  ;-/ 

Esteemed Contributor

Please do not post pictures of

SNAKES on here without a warning

in the topic!  

They may be cute to some of you but I don't 

detest being surprised by seeing one!!!! TIA

Ruins my day!

Honored Contributor

I am in the boonies of West Virginia, and we kill many snakes on our property every year.   

Yes, snakes are a very important part of our eco-system, but when you walk outside around your house and immediately see 5 or more, you have a problem that has to be managed.  

My husband and I would have killed the snake in the picture.  A female garter snake can give birth to 20-40 babies at a time.  Garter snakes den together, and they smell awful if their den happens to be under a porch or deck.  Our guideline is that any snake near the house dies; no snakes allowed on the front steps or porch, at the back door, at the garage entrance, near our dogs, or inside the basement.   We kill any snake over 2 feet long; my husband killed a 3 1/2 ft black snake this weekend that was underneath the dog house tormenting the dog.   We think we have 2 more 5 foot black snakes in our wood pile.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Garden Critter

[ Edited ]

Slightly O/T (apologies to the purists)

Understand that, @RedTop .  I lived on a mountain (really more of a foothill) in VA but about 20 miles from Franklin, W VA.  We had copperheads and rattlers, too.  I tried to run over a pretty good sized rattler in the driveway but dang they move fast!

One of my neighbors crushed it with the butt of his shotgun after he cornered it in a rock wall.  True story.  He came running down the mountain with his shirt open and bootlaces undone to help us out.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Garden Critter

[ Edited ]

I do not care whether or not a snake is harmless; the sight of any snake would freak me out!