Honored Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

here in NEW YORK  who cares what our garden looks like now with  this

crisis going on.flowers is my last concern now health first...........

@heart of savino  The two near me in NY sell produce. I go there instead of the grocery store. 

Respected Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

here in NEW YORK  who cares what our garden looks like now with  this

crisis going on.flowers is my last concern now health first...........

xraytech:  I live in one of the boroughs of Manhattan.  I was not talking about flowers.  I was concerned about vegetables.  Many of us have our own gardens and grow fresh vegetables which would be more appreciated now more than ever.

Super Contributor

I started a bunch of flats of old seeds, I've run out of soil for starting seeds but don't want to be one of the people going to the hardware stores that are being bashed in the neighborhood online groups! So many people are talking about growing their own food. I know some of the seed sellers online have been slammed. In my case the seeds have either given me a ton or none, I had 34 basil plants of different varieties but they were hammered by hail so half are dead. Hoping the heirloom tomatoes do well! 

Trusted Contributor

In Michigan they are all now closed as they are not considered essential.

Esteemed Contributor

All hardware stores are considered "essential" here, so our Lowe's and Menard's are open.  I'm committed to stay home, so I won't be going -- but I assume they are selling plants and trees.   My front porch pots look bleak, as is my mood.  The bright daffodils across the front of my house make me happy.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJIsn't a garden center non-essential?  I'm just wondering cause I would have thought they would not be on the list unless they sell other types of hardware items that might be "essential".  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@proudlyfromNJIsn't a garden center non-essential?  I'm just wondering cause I would have thought they would not be on the list unless they sell other types of hardware items that might be "essential".  

@Snoopp  Two of our local garden centers sell fresh fruit and vegetables. They seem to come from east coast and local greenhouse growers.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  ok, that explains it.

Honored Contributor

New York has considered them recently within the past 2 weeks as 'essential' workers -- lawn crews. But they put in a stipulation that they cannot create new garden beds. Not sure why.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals , our gardening season has yet to start.  I can tell you that we have garden events cancelled right into July.  I was scheduled to host a garden tour in early June and I just opted out.  It was to host the annual meeting of our Provinces's garden clubs.  The organizers will be cancelling the entire event in a few days.

One of our most popular garden events in July is cancelled, our campgrounds parks and trails are closed, the list grows daily.  LM