Respected Contributor

Do you think the garden centers will be closed during this shutdown?  I just read that this may last until the end of June.  I was so looking forward to buying my tomato plants and was just wondering if anone heard anything about this.

Honored Contributor

Ours are open for now. NY and NJ.

Respected Contributor

Both large garden centers in my town are open...drove by one yesterday, there were several cars in the parking lot but I didn't have time to stop & browse. Will they close? No idea...dealing with what is closed is enough for me.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Garden Centers?

[ Edited ]

Just a guess, but yes.

This would be unnecessary travel if we go to next level. I do expect many places will or should.

And, all campgrounds in NC are shutting down, many beaches and it was announced the Appalachian  Trail is closed or will be, in NC and or whole trail

All this is outdoor and more wide open than any store. Possible Central Park too.

Esteemed Contributor

Chicago area garden centers are closed and I assume this is true in all areas where governors or local authorities have issued stay-at-home or shelter in place orders.  I also assume that big box home stores such as Home Depot which are able to be open they would still sell any garden supplies they have in inventory.   

Honored Contributor

So far, all of the garden centers in PA are still open.  Even the one in Walmart and Home Depot.

I think it will really be Important this year for people to plant their own food.  It will give them something to do, save money and keep them away from people in the markets.

Respected Contributor

All of ours are open and fully stocked. 

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals  I believe all hardware stores are open, so if its attached like Lowes or Home Depot, they should be stocked.  That's good because I just spent my weekend digging weeds and pulling overgrown bushes out.  I filled 2.5 of my green (yard waste) trash cans up yesterday and today!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Super Contributor

Here in Washington state, 3 nurseries that I was going to visit today are closed until March 31 - glad I checked their websites first. A 4th nursery in the area requires you to call and schedule a 30 minute visit with them.  Lowes and Home Depot are open and fully stocked, but they carry most of the same stuff.

Valued Contributor

here in NEW YORK  who cares what our garden looks like now with  this

crisis going on.flowers is my last concern now health first...........