Honored Contributor

GARDENERS Can you tell me what this plant is?

I told my husband  I believe it is a strawberry plant....he says he does not think so.

Has small pink flowers that appear to turn into little green buds( future strawberries??)

IMG_0245.JPGIMG_0244.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: GARDENERS Can you tell me what this plant is?

Looks like Creeping Charlie aka Ground Ivy to me. It's definitely not a strawberry plant.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

It looks like some sort of mallow.

If you look at them, you'll find many types, some with leaves just like that and the same habit - kind of small & shrubby and tending towards upright.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

It is a weed and will spread.  Keep it if you like it.  See what it does.  You can always pull out in the fall.

Esteemed Contributor

It looks exactly like the ground cover weed that took over my nieghbor's back yard.  It does have the strawberry long vines and looks so 'sweet & cute" - but this is an invasive weed.  It crawls and chokes your grass.  Kill it if you can - dig the roots out.

Honored Contributor

Going NOW TO PULL IT UP! Thanks so much👍👍👍👍👍👍😘

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, there's an app called Picture This (available for iPhones and Android) that identifies plants. it's pretty cool.

just hover and scan.

Screenshot_2019-07-03 PictureThis - Plant identifier.png

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Contributor

We call it chick weed. It is really invasive. I am constantly pulling it out of my beds. It has really taken over on the parkway in front f our house. And it doesnt seem to bekilled by weed and feed.

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle   I will pass this info to my husband. He has the smart phone...I have a flip phone 😄

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

No doubt you've checked by now, but here are strawberry plants for comparison and the weed (creeping Charlie) you've found in your yard at the bottom of this post:

Image result for strawberry plant

Related image

ETA: 

"With small, scalloped leaves that look very similar to geranium leaves, this vining weed is Glechoma hederacea, commonly referred to as creeping Charlie, creeping Jenny, or ground ivy."

excerpt from http://freeplants.com/creeping%20charlie.html a nice article on the efforts needed to rid a yard of this plant

Image result for creeping charlie weed

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.