Honored Contributor

Fred and Ethel have returned (House Wrens).

Not only did they return, we have babies! This is the first brood of the season (3-4 broods) and boy, are they busy! We did clean out the original nest (well, it fell out of the shed) and they built a much bigger and better one this time around. A bit of fussing when we come out and have to get into the shed but that's to be expected. Waiting for the "Fly Away Day" and hoping to catch it (we caught the last one by chance).

Anyone else watching out over wild grand-babies, lol?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fred and Ethel have returned (House Wrens).

I wish I still did.  I used to have mourning doves nesting year after year until a couple of years ago when a sharp-shinned hawk stole the babies.  The hawk was like a bullet.

After that, the doves didn't try nesting there again.  I do miss them.  Now they only occasionally stop by for stray seeds and to take advantage of the birdbath.

Picture is from several years ago.  

So happy to hear of your repeat guests!

2010 spring summer 021.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  Don't Mourning Doves mate for life? I thought they had their nests on the ground and laid 1 egg a season. I ask because we see a few pairs (could be the same pair, lol) around quite frequently but have no idea where the nest could be.

So sad about the babies. : (

Honored Contributor

I love when birds return to nest!

Saw a mockingbird dart into my neighbor’s arborvitae yesterday. I hope that I hear the fledged babies in a few weeks.  

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Hi @SahmIam

No, mourning doves nest in trees.  Their nests are probably some of the flimsiest in the bird world.  They have more clutches per year than most other birds.  

Yes, they mate for life, but due to the dangers they face, if a mate dies, the other partner finds a new one.

The adults and/or grown children that had been coming back to my backyard tree never returned after the hawk.  I thought that was smart.  

They do tend to spend a lot of time on the ground looking for seeds, etc.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach Thank you for the info. Hmmm...maybe it's Quail that have 1 egg on the ground.

Does the Hawk still hover in your yard as part of its territory? We have a nesting pair and I've seen them carry off squirrels, chipmunks, snakes and rabbits. We have 2 Owl's as well and occasionally see their aftermath after a night of hunting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @SahmIam

I live near a creek/canal and nearby are many tall trees in which the hawk families have begun to live.

We used to have more doves, but I think the hawks realized this.

By the way, my little tree in which my doves used to nest was an English hawthorn, with substantial thorns.  It took skill for not only the doves to build and access their nest, but for that hawk to dive in (I happened to witness it) without being scratched took probably even more skill.

I hated it to happen, but Nature does prevail.

p.s.  You're right, quail is one species that nests on the ground.

This is an example of the thorns:

Image result for english hawthorn tree thorns

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Not only did they return, we have babies! This is the first brood of the season (3-4 broods) and boy, are they busy! We did clean out the original nest (well, it fell out of the shed) and they built a much bigger and better one this time around. A bit of fussing when we come out and have to get into the shed but that's to be expected. Waiting for the "Fly Away Day" and hoping to catch it (we caught the last one by chance).

Anyone else watching out over wild grand-babies, lol?

@SahmIam

I completely forgot to add that I'm looking forward to hearing about the brood and maybe even pictures if you can.  

You are so lucky to have returning birds.

I know it always made me feel honored they chose my house.