Honored Contributor

Fred, Ethel and babies have FLOWN THE COOP!!

[ Edited ]

I posted that we saw them sitting on the shelf in the storage shed.  Well......

We noticed Fred and Ethel hopping all around the trees, the deck and furniture while chirping at the same time. You guessed it; they were calling out to the chicks to follow them.

This morning, I noticed there weren't any sounds. No adult birds flying to and from with grubs... did they leave? Yes, they did! Apparently if you see the chicks outside the nest, they will be leaving within 24 hours. We were SO lucky to have caught that amazing site of them when we did!

And so, they are gone. They'll live deep in the woods until it's time for them all to leave for the deep South/Mexico for the winter. We'll give it another week and then go in and clean out the nest and debris but I'll leave my gardening gloves in their original position....

for next years' visit from Fred and Ethel (or Lucy or Babs or whomever he brings home since the males aren't monogomous, lol).

Trusted Contributor

Re: Fred, Ethel and babies have FLOWN THE COOP!!

What kind of birds were they? I missed your original post.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjenHouse wrens.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@morganjenHouse wrens.

@SahmIam  Congrats! Ours fledged on 8/1...I posted pics in my thread Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Ours just left too.  We have an entire neighborhood in the hedge against the deck.Smiley Happy