Honored Contributor

I love the fragrant lilies and plant a few new ones every year, in huge pots on my back deck. Should have dozens of plants coming back but only a few grow back each year. So my question is--- should I dig the bulbs up in the late fall to store and re pot in early spring? Pots are stored outside under covered deck. I'm in west Wa state. 

Thanks

Honored Contributor

The bulbs do best in the ground -- they do naturalize (create more bulbs)  over time, but I do understand with deer and other mammals liking to eat them so I can see why you want to keep them in pots. With that in mind, keep the pots outdoors as the bulbs need to be chilled for a specific time frame (about 6 weeks) to create the buds.

Containerized lilies also might rot away due to the water always being added to the pot. Hopefully you have drainage holes in your pots. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl Are you speaking of star gazer lilies? If so, I live in Western WA also and I leave my bulbs in the ground all year.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@wagirl Are you speaking of star gazer lilies? If so, I live in Western WA also and I leave my bulbs in the ground all year.

Star Gazer lilies are a true lily like other Asiatic lilies (the white ones seen at Easter are also Asiatic) 

Not to be confused with Oriental lilies. Yeah, I wonder why the two lilies (Asiatic vs. Oriental) have 2 different names. Will have to google why.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

twopeas -- yes I have the star gazer as well as the asiatic/ oriental. 

No they don't get water this time of year. Should I replace old soil with fresh every spring?

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl I'm not sure about the watering, but I would think some may be needed. @JustJazzmom might better answer this question. As for new soil, it seems logical to refresh the soil and I am planning to dig mine up, refurbish the soil and replant. Hope I don't kill lthem. I suspect, as with other bulbs, they regain their strength by using up what is in their stems and stalks. My whole area where mine are needs to be amended, anyway.

Its monday Again

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

twopeas--I'm not really a gardener, more a wanna be. However this year may be more difficult to do much---I broke my wrist in that ice rain thing we had a few weeks ago, so am one armed for awhile. I live in Woodinville; where are you?

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

twopeas--I'm not really a gardener, more a wanna be. However this year may be more difficult to do much---I broke my wrist in that ice rain thing we had a few weeks ago, so am one armed for awhile. I live in Woodinville; where are you?

@wagirlIf I step out on my deck, I can see the Seattle sky line, including the space needle. I'm so sorry that you broke your wrist. It seems to take a long time to heal a wrist. I vaguely recall my dad taking us to Woodinville to visit relatives many years ago. I don't know the name. I've not remained close to distant relatives. I had a bad issue with a knee last year that kept me from gardening, so I hired some guys to help. I'm looking forward this year to working myself more, but have to be careful with my knees because I will be needing knee replacements in the future. If I remember correctly, you went through breast cancer. I did as well back in 2001. I feel blessed to have remained healthy and I pray the same for you.

Its monday Again