Honored Contributor

@Brittany-QVC

Thanks for posting your tomatoes!! I would harvest the two of them I see in those photos.

Did you use a tomato cage or a spiral? I like the spirals because I can either wind the vine around it and then tie it or any of the lateral vines tie up as well giving me slightly more yield.

I am currently harvesting 'Mortgage Lifter' an heirloom, 'Sun Gold' and 'Black Cherry' also an heirloom. My 'Green Zebra', (2 plants) yielded a total of about 5 tomatoes each. That seems to be the norm with that heirloom. I have 2 mystery tomatoes in the veggie garden -- maybe patio tomatoes? Not sure as they haven't ripened yet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

@JustJazzmom I just harvested them yesterday right after I took the picture! I was so excited to pick them! Ha ha! Smiley Very Happy

I've heard about that 'Mortgage Lifter' heirloom! Wasn't the man who came up with that variety able to pay off his mortgage with the tomatoes I believe? I'd love to try that variety myself! Mine was some sort of local heirloom variety that I picked up at a whole foods type store, but I can't seem to remember what the name was! I also tried an heirloom folded tomato, but I think I put them in the ground too early because they didn't make it! 

That mystery tomato sounds exciting! Post a picture of the mortgage lifter if you get the chance and feel like sharing! I'd be very interested to see how they turn out and I am sure @Kim-QVC would too, she's quite the gardener! 

Brittany  

Honored Contributor

Re: For Lilysmom

[ Edited ]

@Brittany-QVC @Kim-QVC

Yes, I heard that story as well re: 'Mortgage Lifter'. It starts out ripening as a pinkish red and then as it remains on the vine longer becomes more tomatoey red in color. I have two of two on my countertop now. They are similar in size to say 'Brandywine' or other large tomatoes.

All of my tomato plants came from the large nursery in next town over from me except for 'Black Cherry' which was one of my 'volunteers'.

From Left to Right:

'Sun Gold', 'Black Cherry' ripe 'Mortgage Lifter' recently picked 'Mortgage Lifter' tomatoes

'Sun Gold', 'Black Cherry' & 'Mortgage Lifter' Tomatoes.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

All of your gardens are ahead of mine!  We were late planting this year because of frost.  I have had beets, greens and cukes so far.  My tomatoes are still green.  My carrots are good too.

By mistake I planted Pole beans instead of bush beans.  Lord, what a mistake that was.  They are growing up poles way bigger than me lol.  There are tons of flowers.  I saw one bean so far.  I will be harvesting in October at this rate.  Does anyone have experience with these?  Are they any good?  They take up way too much room!!!  Info pls.  TIA.  LM

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom Oh, thank you for the picture! They are quite gorgeous! I might have to give the mortgage lifter a go myself next year! They look like a tomato with a good heft to it! 

@Lilysmom I think I'm a little behind as well, my first tomato only just came in where as my coworkers have been getting tomatoes for a few weeks now at least. This is my first year really gardening and I think I was a little over enthusiastic, I planted my seedlings pretty early and they got hit with some pretty bad cold spells! (They looked so shrivled and sad! LOL!) I didn't think that any were going to make it at first, but they pulled through! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brittany-QVC

The biggest success to a veggie garden is the area should get at least 6 hours of sun and making sure the plants are fed. I have a small garden about 4' X 5' and I add a bag of composted manure in say end of March beginning of April. When the ground is able to be worked-- not muddy or overly wet from winter, I turn that manure over into the existing soil. In April/May I usually plant lettuces and at that time (end of May) I usually purchase my tomatoes.

I find that initially the tomatoes just sit there and don't really put out growth. Its okay with me, as I am certain they are setting up roots. If there is a night when its going to be in the upper 30's (hasn't happened by us but probably by you it could), take a sheet and cover the plants with it. The stored heat from the soil and air during the day will keep them from getting frost bitten. You can remove it the next day once temperatures climb to the normal temperatures.  I can also turn over the manure when I plant the lettuces and tomatoes w peppers. In June, I sprinkle Epsoms salts around the tomatoes and peppers. This helps with their cell formation and also helps to prevent blossom end rot where the bottom of the tomato can turn black. It can turn black on the bottom due to lack of calcium uptake fromthe soil or uneven watering practices. That 3-4" of rain we had on Thursday followed by your regular watering is a good example of uneven watering practices.

By July most times, the lettuces are done and have 'bolted' set out flowers and the leaves have become bitter. Best to remove them at this time. You can usually tell when lettuces are starting to prepare to bolt; they grow taller and you start to see the formation of some flower stalks or flower buds at the top. The heat is what causes the lettuces to bolt. I use those spots where they were for any volunteer tomatoes that came up elsewhere on the property-- usually one or two plants or seedlings.

Once the tomatoes and peppers start flowering its a good idea when you start to see the actual tomatoes and peppers forming to add another bag of compost to the soil. I read recently that peppers are heavy feeders so giving them lots of food helps the peppers to get larger. Mine are on the small side and I probably could have added more compost to around them in July or did what is called 'side dressing'.

Here's a photo of my veggie garden taken last year in June. Lettuces are on the borders with a rosemary plant on the lower right. The spirals contain the tomato plants. Notice also the plastic containers around the tomatoes-- that is done (at least 4" into the ground with either milk cartons or juice cartons cut off) to prevent the cutworm larvae from boring into the tender stems until the plants get larger. This year I didn't use containers and had no problems.

Veggie Garden 2014.JPG

Valued Contributor

@JustJazzmom Oh wow! I see you use the spirals for your tomatoes, they are quite nice! I forgot, you asked if I used cages or stakes before I believe! We've actually been using a mixture of both! We caged three of the tomato plants and the other two are staked, we'll probably get some heftier stakes or maybe spirals for next year, because we've also had to use gardening tape to support them! We've got them tied to the deck and it's a sight! Ha ha! 

That's interesting to know that they are generally setting up roots earlier in the season, that could explain why we weren't seeing much growth then! I'll have to try covering them and I'll give a good sprinkle of Epsom salts next season when I go to plant again! We've lucked out with no rot this year, but I was listening to "You Bet Your Garden" one morning and they mentioned that can be a big problem and that if you get certain types of rots or fungi that they can live in the soil from year to year! So I should probably sprinkle with a little and head it off before it ever starts! I think I am going to give the manure a go next year as well, since we live near Amish Country and we could probably get some nice organic cow manure for pretty cheap! 

Well, guess I better get back to work! Ha ha! You ladies have a good night and a good weekend if I don't hear back from you! Smiley Very Happy

Brittany 

Honored Contributor

The manure should be aged and not fresh-- fresh can burn tender new roots. Also contains a lot of weed seeds if not aged (from the horses eating them). The aging process kills the weed seeds-- I usually buy the bagged stuff from Home Depot. I try to get at least a bag or two about now for next year before they disappear for the season (they put out the pine branches for decorations soon).

Also another thing I forgot to mention is crop rotation-- if you put tomatoes in one area (a corner) put them the next year in a different corner. 

Good garden sanitation is important too, it is best not to compost fungi infected plants-- some compost piles do not get hot enough to kill off the fungi so its best to bag them and put out for sanitation pick up on your scheduled lawn and garden waste pick up.

You also don't see much growth because initially the soil is cold coming out of winter months. The soil is warmer in late summer early fall than it is emerging from winter. This is why many gardening places recommend planting plants in the fall (Late August/September) -- the soil temps are better for their survival to establish (set out roots) before those temps drop again for winter.

Valued Contributor

@JustJazzmom Thank you for the advice! I will steer clear of the fresh manure then! Certainly don't want to have to do any extra weeding! We don't have a compost bin yet, but I have been bagging any questionable leaves and throwing them away so that it doesn't spread anything to the other plants! (My husband wanted to throw them into the woods, but I was worried it was too close to the yard.) It's amazing how much knowledge and care it takes to raise a nice vegetable garden - but it certainly has been rewarding and fun to watch! Plus I think it's an important skill to keep going!  

I'll keep in mind the crop rotation too, I think our tomatoes might get bumped closer to the center of the yard next year! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor