Respected Contributor

First hummingbird on April 29

We live in the center of the state of Pennsylvania.  So excited to see that hummer this afternoon at a feeder I just put out yesterday!  Thank you, Mother Nature. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: First hummingbird on April 29

I'm near eastern PA. I will be putting my hummer and goldfinch feeders out on Sunday!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in NoVA and I saw the first one about a week ago.  I was surprised - it seemed early and it has been chilly.  I dropped what I was doing and ran to put the feeder out.  They're already getting impatient with me when I take a minute to refill "their" feeder.

I also commissioned DH to buy salvia plants at the garden center when he went for some mulch.  I'll be planting them right below the feeder.  They love salvia.  My cardinal flower (lobelia) is coming up out back and I hope that's more enticement for them when it blooms.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday I was totally charmed by one that drank when I was standing about 18 inches away.  Bold little guy.

Love how you can see their little tongue. 

Trusted Contributor

@maximillian  I live in Western NY, and had my first Orioles, and one lone hummer yeaterday.  I was just leaving the house to go have a hip replacement and there was a beautiful male Oriole looking at me.  I think he was my lucky charm as I came home the same day and I'm hurting but not to bad.  Zooming around in my walker.  My husband is in charge of the grape jelly patrol for my Orioles and I put my hummingbird feeder up the other day.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Thank you for including the tip about which flowers the birds love.  I think I will get some of the salvia and lobella you mentioned.  i love to see the birds; I will try just about anything to keep them coming around here.

Respected Contributor

@hayseed00 

Here's sending you good wishes for a healthy recovery and future good health.  I think your oriole was a good sign.  I must put out grape jelly and orange slices too.  Today we may get strong storms.  I may wait until tomorrow. 

Valued Contributor

I saw a green with red hummingbird  yesterday afternoon while on my front porch...he came within five feet and remained unafraid at least a minute.  I always feel lucky when I see them.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Los Angeles, and my year-round pet hummingbird, Fritz, sits in my ficus about 4 feet from where "his" feeder hangs.   He's very territorial. 

Well, it's spring, and others happen by for a sip.  Fritz isn't happy, but he does what he can.   He swoops and attacks if they get greedy or drink without permission.  Woman LOL

Interestingly, Hummers need to get a large drink at the end of the day to hold them over until morning.   It's critical to their survival.   Evening is the ONLY time little Fritz will let others feed at his feeder without getting upset.   At sundown, Fritz shares his food with others.  Heart

Honored Contributor

I live in PA and have had my hummingbird feeder out for almost two weeks.  Last year we saw our first one on May 8; however, I haven't seen any yet this year.  I change the feed every few days so maybe this week they'll arrive.  I hope so.  Heart

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~