Honored Contributor

Re: First Mow of the Season!

I haven't mowed yet but will in a week or two. March in NJ often has you both shoveling snow in the early part and mowing the grass later in the month. It's a very transitional month. It's supposed to get up near seventy today, so I'm looking forward to puttering around in the yard a bit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

We're in Northern Virginia and I haven't seen anyone mowing yet. Our lawn service plans to begin mowing in the next few weeks. Many of our trees have started budding and the forsythia and daffodils are blooming. It's supposed to hit 74 this afternoon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am in the woods.  Lucky if I get to mow at all.  Oh well have fun.  

Respected Contributor

I had a yard service come out this week and mow my leaves and clean the gutters, it looks so nice.

I can't wait to put out the new garden items I bought along with a few plants.

☼☼☼

It is pouring today so glad I got the yard done. I still have to find someone to trim the bushes and shrubs, its too much work for me now.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

We're in Northern Virginia and I haven't seen anyone mowing yet. Our lawn service plans to begin mowing in the next few weeks. Many of our trees have started budding and the forsythia and daffodils are blooming. It's supposed to hit 74 this afternoon. 

There are buds on the trees.  My allergies are acting up too.

Honored Contributor

Usually around April 20. Waiting until May 1 would be fine by me.

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

There are buds on the trees.  My allergies are acting up too.

@Snoopp  Yes, we're beginning to see that fine green dusting of pollen on our cars that announces the coming of Spring. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cleaned up my flowerbeds about a week ago. Where do those leaves come from? Thought that was all cleaned up late last fall. And paper staff, plastic pieces, etc.? It's been such a mild winter and spring is early this year with a lot of things beginning to blossom already! It's so pretty and makes me so happy.  Heart  Monday was a day of gentle rains in Nebraska. Perfect. Expect my lawn care service to be out soon with their first application since the soil is warming up quickly. (One neighbor's has already been applied. A little too early IMHO.) Then, they'll be out to aerate. (Or, perhaps vice versa?) Isn't that amazing in March? The monthly invoices will begin for their work keeping our lawns pretty, well mowed and trimmed! I've even moved my patio furniture outside!! Anxious for the weather to stay warm.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady  et al, we have most of our snow gone here in Nova Scotia.  I took a walk around yesterday and took a walk to the lake.  The ice is just starting to pull away from shore so it will be awhile yet before we have the mowers going.  

Not a bad winter at all snow wise.  We had quite a wind storm Saturday and a huge piece of one of my birch snapped.  This tree will have to come down.  I had hoped we were done with that after our big fall cleanup.

@BirkiLady , I am like you...where did all the leaves come from???  

So nice to see Spring just around the corner!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  If you are seeing water around the edges, it won't be too long before you begin to see spring flowers too!! Taking those walks is such a joy after those grey days of winter with shortened, brisk walks.

So sorry to hear you are loosing another tree. So painful. Hope you have plans to replace it with another sturdy tree that will survive the harsh winds.

Don't care which way we go, but would like to stop the time changes, which boggle my biological clock every six months!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.